PDA

View Full Version : What type of Rear Differential?

sapper6
11-29-2017, 12:13 PM
Howdy,

I hope this note finds everyone well! Need a little guidance, I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee SE, 4WD, and the unicorn RHD configuration. I did the vin decoder to find out more information on the vehicle and it came back listing a Dana 35C as the rear end. I think that back end looks more like a Chrysler 8.25. I've attached a picture and would appreciate any guidance from ya'll on your opinions of what I am working with (i.e. the Chrysler or Dana). Thanks a million for any advice that you all can offer.

Best,

Dave

denverd1
11-29-2017, 12:33 PM
looks like a leaky chrysler 8.25, but kinda hard to tell in that pic. grab another pic showing the bottom of the pumpkin. if there's a flat spot where a jack might go, 8.25. If it is a 35, 8.25 are plentiful and cheap. solid axle

put a lube locker gasket on when you crack it open..

sapper6
11-29-2017, 12:46 PM
Thanks a million for your response! I appreciate your thoughts and will get a better idea of the bottom when I get home! And will make sure to get a lube locker gasket on the new cover I'm getting. Once again, thanks for your help!

-Dave

prerunner1982
11-29-2017, 01:34 PM
It's a Dana 35.
The bottom of the diff isn't flat, what looks like a flat spot is a shadow and the nose of the differential.
The gussets from the diff to the axle tube are larger on the Dana 35 than the 8.25.
If you clean the center of the diff cover you should find the Dana insignia.
The axle tubes on the Dana 35 are about 2.5" diameter where the Chry 8.25 is 3".

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/65/Dana_corp_logo.PNG/220px-Dana_corp_logo.PNG

sapper6
11-29-2017, 01:41 PM
Thanks my friend for the advice, I'll do some cleaning tonight and confirm. I truly appreciate your time and guidance!

-Dave

4.3LXJ
11-29-2017, 02:12 PM
I am a little late on this, but I agree. It is a Dana 35C

sapper6
11-29-2017, 02:23 PM
Thanks brother!

4.3LXJ
11-29-2017, 02:34 PM
No problem, that is what we are here for

denverd1
11-30-2017, 09:28 AM
so what are your plans for it? those 35s don't work real well with tires over 31"

sapper6
11-30-2017, 11:32 AM
I'm torn, my wife uses it during the week to deliver rural mail routes. So I need to find a comfortable lift height (I can justify to the wife) that doesn't make her work impossible because of my desire to offroad. I was thinking about doing a 3.5" lift and putting 31's on it... There are a few mechanical aspects I need to address real quick, like the leaky rear diff, a coolant leak, and some electrical issues. I've gussied up the interior and I am doing the headliner kit this weekend to square away the interior. Right now on the inside it has a front right seat I just installed (Rugged Ridge) and no front left seat, since she is delivering mail out of it.

On a more positive note, a good buddy of mine at work gave me an 'extra' 4.0L that I am going to convert into a stroker. I'm open to any suggestions, since this XJ won't spend it's whole life delivering mail probably for the next year or two, then its truly mine to toy around with... So I need to find that balance that will not make all the work I'm doing now in vain, since I would like this little XJ to be really offroad capable post it's mail duties. Any thoughts would definitely be appreciated! Hope you are doing well!

-Dave

4.3LXJ
11-30-2017, 12:05 PM
Three inch lift and 31s is a good way to go. Mine was that way for years. Throw in a lunch box locker and it will be very capable. That won't be too tall either for the mail. Might want to make sure she won't have trouble with the average height of mail boxes with that. Never really thought about that aspect.

prerunner1982
11-30-2017, 12:11 PM
Might want to make sure she won't have trouble with the average height of mail boxes with that. Never really thought about that aspect.

I was just logging in to post the same thing.

4.3LXJ
11-30-2017, 12:15 PM
Great minds travel the same trail :D

sapper6
11-30-2017, 12:26 PM
Really appreciate everyone's input. Trust me, this is our second XJ that is RHD... Boy do I get weird looks driving it from the right hand side. For years I'd pull on base only to be greeted by the cheeky MP's asking me "Sir, you seem to be a bit turned around and on the wrong side on the vehicle" or the really good friend's of mine that would sit in the front left seat while I drove on post, hoping I would get pulled over for them talking on their cell phones in the front left seat, lol! It made for some fun traffic stops! I'll probably start a thread on the joys of my "Project Mail Jeep". I plan on doing all of the work myself, minus the actual machining work to convert the trust 4.0 into a 4.6L. Hope you all are having a good week.

-Dave

4.3LXJ
11-30-2017, 12:31 PM
Dave, you actually have a really cool part on your Jeep for all us left hand drivers. If a guy wanted to convert to over the knuckle steering, you can use a right hand drag link and not have the usual side effects. If in the future you want to convert to over the knuckle, you could easily trade or sell that drag link for a left hand link for yourself. Just saying.

sapper6
11-30-2017, 01:01 PM
Awesome advice, thanks man!

-Dave

4.3LXJ
11-30-2017, 01:09 PM
Love the cell phone trick :D

Also unique to you is an easy steering box upgrade your wive might appreciate. The Chevy pickup C and K series steering box has a larger hydraulic cylinder in it and should bolt to your frame. It will be a little easier steering for her.

denverd1
12-04-2017, 08:17 AM
Love the cell phone trick :D

Also unique to you is an easy steering box upgrade your wive might appreciate. The Chevy pickup C and K series steering box has a larger hydraulic cylinder in it and should bolt to your frame. It will be a little easier steering for her.

:confused: you've forgotten more about wheeling and the vehicles involved than I'll ever know! :patriot:

4.3LXJ
12-04-2017, 09:48 AM
:confused: you've forgotten more about wheeling and the vehicles involved than I'll ever know! :patriot:

:rotfl2: