PDA

View Full Version : Thought Experiment, all coil XJ

Mudderoy
11-13-2017, 07:41 AM
If you haven't seen Andy's front and rear long arm setup, am I even saying that right, it's damn sexy.

Now he has a version that is long arm front and leaf rear, but damn it would be neat to have coils front and rear and all that articulation. I know the speed bumps are getting bigger at the mall...

What are the downsides of all coil for an XJ daily driver? I mean the TJ is that way, the Grands, at least the older ones.

Would it make sense to keep the C 8.25 and D30 after spending so much money and time changing the C8.25 to coil?

Pookapotamus
11-13-2017, 09:12 AM
There are no downsides tony, Mort is my daily and all coil is great! The ride is fantastic and even at 5000lbs cornering is awesome. The only real downside to all coil comes when fully loaded or pulling a trailer, leafs can handle more weight than coils.

As for axles, I run a d30/d44. No issues with them and the c8.25 would be just as good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
11-13-2017, 11:21 AM
No downsides, in fact properly set up it would be much better than the average lifted XJ. Many kits have stiff rear springs. Easy to see in the flex pics where the front end is bottomed out and the rear has barely moved. I am going towards rear coils, and I have very flexy rear springs. Coils just ride much smoother

denverd1
12-19-2017, 10:33 AM
only problems are heavy loaded, as mentioned above. The Grand we had did great until it was loaded down. could feel the rear tires articulate over bumps at the mall. same bumps would gotten the XJ airborne.

I'd LOVE to do rear coils. My back would thank me for sure. Next for me is adding adjustable shackles out back. if that doesn't soften things I may go with deaver spring packs in 4.5" and shackles. thinner steel with a few more leaves. supposedly some of the best riding leaves.... but their still leaves

4.3LXJ
12-19-2017, 11:26 AM
Denver, my bastard pack rides real nice, but as you mentioned, doesn't take a load

denverd1
12-19-2017, 03:50 PM
S10 leaf under XJ pack?

4.3LXJ
12-19-2017, 04:21 PM
No, Isuzu leaves with the bottom leaf upside down. Very flexy and about as good as you can get for a high travel rear spring. Rides as good as most new cars

jonb8
12-20-2017, 05:50 AM
One thing I like about the xj more then any other jeep made, is coils on the front and leafs in the rear. Super flexy in the front and stability in the rear, here in WV stuff gets off camber quick and the leafs keep the xj from getting all wonky... The TJ guy's around here can't unhook the rear sway bar or there jeeps lean and unload real bad offcamber. I do wish the rear leafs were longer though..

denverd1
12-20-2017, 02:46 PM
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/suspension-brakes/1503-2001-jeep-cherokee-xj-coil-conversion-leafs-out-coils-in/photo-10.html

clayton's XJ 4 link kit -- stupid $$$
https://www.claytonoffroad.com/jeep_cherokee_xj_upgrade_kits

only load I'm carrying is a cooler full of beer!

denverd1
12-20-2017, 02:47 PM
One thing I like about the xj more then any other jeep made, is coils on the front and leafs in the rear. Super flexy in the front and stability in the rear, here in WV stuff gets off camber quick and the leafs keep the xj from getting all wonky... The TJ guy's around here can't unhook the rear sway bar or there jeeps lean and unload real bad offcamber. I do wish the rear leafs were longer though..

true, very stable off camber!!

denverd1
12-20-2017, 03:23 PM
here's another kit, just need a crossmember (without the nosebleed pricing)
https://store.airslamit.com/default/triangulated-rear-4-link-suspension-kit-weld-on.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAsejRBRB3EiwAZft7sLTGSa2Vv7E5 wdYh9lD11zjUK-vBfaW5AUQuVUwNocHVkdUfYgMPohoCIlgQAvD_BwE

4.3LXJ
12-20-2017, 04:56 PM
Oh man, I pay almost that much for just one link

denverd1
02-02-2018, 06:46 PM
Oh man, I pay almost that much for just one linkEh they're almost 1/8th wall DOM. No way in hell I'd run that! Sorry for mentioning it, just now read specs....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
02-05-2018, 02:02 PM
Eh they're almost 1/8th wall DOM. No way in hell I'd run that! Sorry for mentioning it, just now read specs....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The ones I use are 1/4" wall DOM tubing. I have one prototype he let me have cheap that is 3/8" wall. Bounced that one off some granite. The rock was the looser on that one

denverd1
02-07-2018, 10:54 AM
thinking/reading more about this, some folks mentioned stability in off camber situations. and they like rear leafs because they are more stable than coils back there.

any thoughts on this? how would you limit body roll while having good articulation? I don't think a sway bar would work.

4.3LXJ
02-07-2018, 01:53 PM
I have done it by redesigning the sway bar. I used an Isuzu front bar and anchored it to the tranny cross member and used short links between it and the front long arms. Only has half as much effect, but is full articulation and is enough to give stability. I plan on eventually having one on the rear too to complete the redesign

denverd1
02-07-2018, 06:14 PM
I have done it by redesigning the sway bar. I used an Isuzu front bar and anchored it to the tranny cross member and used short links between it and the front long arms. Only has half as much effect, but is full articulation and is enough to give stability. I plan on eventually having one on the rear too to complete the redesign

I knew you'd have an answer!

4.3LXJ
02-07-2018, 06:37 PM
Much cheaper than the Curie version :D