PDA

View Full Version : Favorite modifications

mike00xj
10-31-2017, 07:53 PM
Hey guys, what's everyone's favorite modifications they have made to their rig and why?

Also, what is your favorite purchased modification and favorite home made modification?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
10-31-2017, 08:35 PM
Wow, the list of my mods is extensive. And it is about to get worse. But of all the things I have fabricated, I think my suspension is my favorite. It is a custom three link I fabricated and used builder parts around Rubicon Express front springs. As for purchased parts, it is a toss up between my Atlas 4 speed and my full set of WJ disc brakes (but I modded the knuckles a little though) :D

Pookapotamus
11-01-2017, 08:07 AM
Yup this is a hard question to answer. Favourite fabricated mod would have to be the new cold air intake for the stroker. And fav purchased mod would be beadlocks or the Clayton suspension or the ... it’s hard to choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluedragon436
11-01-2017, 05:21 PM
Favorite purchased mod would have to be the Jeep and everything I've purchased for it, to make it that much better!!!.... Favorite fabricated mod would be.... I'm not smart enough for fabrication just yet.... lol But seriously favorite purchased mod for my XJ would probably be the lift... It's worked awesomely for me thus far, although I'm sure I might be swapping/upgrading some portions of it once I get moved to a location where I can really get into using my XJ and seeing what she can and can't do with the current setup...

denverd1
11-03-2017, 10:25 AM
rear locker. opened up a world of capability. Now that I've added the front locker, it just goes over things. Its REALLY Fun outwheeling rigs with bigger tires and egos to match.

fab'd mods: haven't really don't a whole of fab work, other than welding in front sleeves. I need to rebuild the frame rail where steering gear goes. Will be nice to have tighter steering and no flex up there. so that's on the short list.
winch: I thought self-recovery would be a must for an offroad rig and therefore a winch would almost as important as good tires. However, i've used it to pull other people up or through something more than I've used it for myself. If you've got an extra couple hundo, its nice to have, but wouldn't be the first thing I added if I had it to do over again. I like having it, just thought I'd use it more.

XJ Wheeler
11-03-2017, 11:46 AM
I usually have a hard time picking things like this so I'm gonna split it into two more categories.

Favorite big purchased mod: Lift has gotta be it. It changes the whole vehicle and it's capabilities.

Favorite small purchased mod: I've done a lot of little things but the one that has probably made the biggest real difference and I use the most is the "hoodlift" hood strut kit. No more burning my hands trying to hold the hood up trying to get that prop in place.

Favorite big fabricated mod: It was a major pain and I'm still not one hundred percent done but the tubing rockers takes it. My rockers were very rusty and after all that work I know my uni body is safer and will take a hit. Plus I gained a slider and GAINED ground clearance.

Favorite small fabricated mod: I love LEDs and lights in general and have converted/added many on my jeep but there's one that I love the outcome. I made a three piece 3rd brake light mount/cover (mines a 92 which didn't have one) out of 16 gauge steel. It has a red led bar in the center and I made it look as factory as I could. Doesn't even look metal.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

bluedragon436
11-05-2017, 02:34 PM
[QUOTE=XJ Wheeler;233746]
Favorite small purchased mod: I've done a lot of little things but the one that has probably made the biggest real difference and I use the most is the "hoodlift" hood strut kit. No more burning my hands trying to hold the hood up trying to get that prop in place.

Favorite big fabricated mod: It was a major pain and I'm still not one hundred percent done but the tubing rockers takes it. My rockers were very rusty and after all that work I know my uni body is safer and will take a hit. Plus I gained a slider and GAINED ground clearance.

I'm looking at picking up the hood lift strut kit for my XJ... I'm used to burning of my hands now.. but would still be nice not to have to fight with it any more... not to mention, it's kind of a PITA to open it and then lift it up to put in the rod, when ou have to fight with the lift and the stinger.. lol

My current rockers are still in good shape, so won't be doing the tubular rockers just yet... but once I get other stuff taken care of, I might look into removing the JCR rock rails I've added, and cut the rockers out and then install steel rockers in place of them, figure @ the same time as replacing any rusted rockers, would probably help strengthen the middle of the "frame" as well!!

MattybPDX
11-05-2017, 08:40 PM
My tires. I was running some super bald 27" radials before I got my 31x10.5 ko2s. It made a world of difference in performance and looks. The only mod I've made is the sway bar discos I'm working on so I guess by default that's my favorite.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

XJ Wheeler
11-06-2017, 12:42 PM

I'm looking at picking up the hood lift strut kit for my XJ... I'm used to burning of my hands now.. but would still be nice not to have to fight with it any more... not to mention, it's kind of a PITA to open it and then lift it up to put in the rod, when ou have to fight with the lift and the stinger.. lol

My current rockers are still in good shape, so won't be doing the tubular rockers just yet... but once I get other stuff taken care of, I might look into removing the JCR rock rails I've added, and cut the rockers out and then install steel rockers in place of them, figure @ the same time as replacing any rusted rockers, would probably help strengthen the middle of the "frame" as well!!

The struggle is real! I hated that prop and it's a breeze now. All your doing by waiting is delaying joy! DO IT!!!

Just make sure you tie them into the "frame" rails. The metal around the rocker is just too weak to take the abuse, even as spread out as it is. Well worth it though.

denverd1
11-14-2017, 01:32 PM
[QUOTE=bluedragon436;233781]
The struggle is real! I hated that prop and it's a breeze now. All your doing by waiting is delaying joy! DO IT!!!
Just make sure you tie them into the "frame" rails. The metal around the rocker is just too weak to take the abuse, even as spread out as it is. Well worth it though.

why are yalls hoods up so much??? ;)

XJ Wheeler
11-14-2017, 05:53 PM
Just marvelling at how it still runs... :D and keep an eye on the ps fluid...

denverd1
12-12-2017, 12:56 PM
I thought bigger axles to go with bigger tires would've made the list

I'm doing long arm upgrade first

tire/fuel/jack carrier later

4.3LXJ
12-12-2017, 01:12 PM
That is right Denver, get it ready for them, then do it

denverd1
12-19-2017, 03:03 PM
nobody's done steering upgrades?

working out how I'm going to get hydro assist going soon. think I can do it all for cost of ram, hose and fittings. should be WAY below $500