PDA

View Full Version : Power Brake Booster

Mudderoy
10-23-2017, 07:54 AM
I changed out the power brake booster last night.

Pedal seems like it goes lower.

After changing it I found a post about adjusting the rod that goes into the master cylinder.

I'm not sure if that needs to be adjusted or I need to bleed the brakes.

I think the answer is YES I need to bleed the brakes since I took off two of the three lines running to the master cylinder. Some reason I couldn't get the third one off. None of my wrenches would fit it. Either too big or too small.

So the two front ones on that manifold thingy that feeds the master cylinder.

Pookapotamus
10-23-2017, 09:14 AM
Yes start by bleeding the brakes Tony, the pedal should be much better afterwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
10-23-2017, 09:40 AM
Yes, it will need to be bled. It doesn't take much to affect the pedal. A little bit soft too?

jonb8
10-23-2017, 02:42 PM
I agree with everyone else, I've never heard of the rod being adjustable. I know the rod on 96 and older are one length and the 97+ xj's rod is alittle longer..

bluedragon436
10-23-2017, 08:48 PM
I know on some vehicles the rod is adjustable.. didn't think it was on the XJ.. But yeah, like everyone else said, would definitely start with bleeding the whole system... if nothing else, can't hurt and will make it all work better..

nickyg
10-24-2017, 12:03 AM
Brakes are over rated. Just toss this out the window when you want to stop.

Pookapotamus
10-24-2017, 07:38 AM
Realistically you drive an xj, why would you ever need to stop???

Mudderoy
10-24-2017, 10:47 AM
Realistically you drive an xj, why would you ever need to stop???

It's amazing how little I use my brakes on the highway even during stop and go traffic. Really didn't noticed until I was concerned about stopping...

Mudderoy
10-24-2017, 10:49 AM

Mudderoy
10-24-2017, 11:21 AM
Bled the front brakes last night. Pedal feels better. Will know more when I drive it more than just testing the pedal and pulling it into the garage.

Mudderoy
10-25-2017, 08:54 AM
Yep, seems to be back to normal.

Pookapotamus
10-25-2017, 03:07 PM
Awesome tony!

Mudderoy
11-20-2017, 07:09 AM
I noticed a couple of weeks ago that when I would come to a stop, not every time, that the pedal would go down further than normal braking.

Most recently I noticed it pulsing, although this could have been something on the stereo as the speaker is right there.

This morning, the pedal is way down after driving about 15 miles. Could it be that air bubbles have merged over time and now I need to bleed it again?

I haven't checked it for leaks or levels yet as this happened coming into work.

4.3LXJ
11-20-2017, 10:33 AM
You changed out the master cyinder too?

Mudderoy
11-20-2017, 12:47 PM
I did not.

4.3LXJ
11-20-2017, 01:05 PM
It could be you need to replace it. I realize it was working, however if you pedal is good one day and low the next without touching the system, the little rubber cups are beginning to wear out. One clue would also be if you can pump the brakes up and have a firm pedal. Air in the system will give a soft pedal

Mudderoy
11-20-2017, 01:35 PM
It could be you need to replace it. I realize it was working, however if you pedal is good one day and low the next without touching the system, the little rubber cups are beginning to wear out. One clue would also be if you can pump the brakes up and have a firm pedal. Air in the system will give a soft pedal

I've never had issues with brake system, well power steering or master cylinder. Can I lose braking completely with a bad master cylinder?

4.3LXJ
11-20-2017, 04:21 PM
I have never had a complete failure. Had many that just started wearing out and you would have to pump the brakes once or twice to stop.

Mudderoy
11-21-2017, 07:48 AM
I have never had a complete failure. Had many that just started wearing out and you would have to pump the brakes once or twice to stop.

lol I think my dumbass caused the situation.

I got in the Jeep yesterday afternoon, started it up and started pumping the brakes to see if I could get some pedal back. Nope, and the brake light came on.

Drove out of the parking garage and pulled into a spot to look at stuff under the hood. No leaks, no wet tires, but an empty master cylinder. Well I couldn't get anything wet on my finger.

Tried to think of an auto parts near by, couldn't, did a search on my phone, but I just didn't want to get off the freeway as it would have been HELL to get back on during Houston rush hour.

It would stop just fine, so I just drove home.

Filled her up with brake fluid and bled the lines. Pedal back to normal, but now I'm watching for leaks.

Again didn't see anything on the garage floor, parking garage, etc... I think what happened is I filled it up the bleed the brakes after the power boost swap and didn't fill it back up when i was done.

Well see what happens.

4.3LXJ
11-21-2017, 10:29 AM
I an saving this for when I do something like that. It will make me feel better :D

Mudderoy
11-21-2017, 04:22 PM
Well it kept bugging me how the hydraulic fluid could be leaking out with no visible signs. You know that even if it was low for a couple three weeks, it should still be about that same level.

I checked the concrete in the parking garage again today, nothing. Then I checked the back of the tires, and the rear driver's looked wet over the entire surface. Then I thought to look up in the wheel well.

It's seem like I remember the rear brakes are 9" drums, does that sound right to you guys? Ordering parts.

4.3LXJ
11-21-2017, 05:11 PM
Oh rats, now you get to take back some dumbassery. But don't feel bad, I just cut up a bracket I made, didn't fit right and just found out I bolted up my disc brake calipers on the wrong side of it. :rolleye0012:

So here is one to pay forward :D

Mudderoy
11-22-2017, 11:23 PM
Can't say for certain what the problem is but I'm pretty sure this will fix it.

Mudderoy
11-26-2017, 09:22 PM
Well couldn't put it off any longer...

Mudderoy
11-27-2017, 06:59 AM
Well I've bled the system, again. No more leaks, confirmed this evening before I head home, but I still do have the pedal I'd like to have. Driving the 2003 TJ the pedal is right at the top but the 98 XJ it's at least half way down.

Comparing apples to oranges? Steve mentioned something about changing the master cylinder, could that be it? Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive since I've been focusing on this issue for a couple of weeks.

4.3LXJ
11-27-2017, 10:23 AM
Half pedal is OK. They need more pedal on drum brake systems than on disc. So those rear brakes will make the pedal go down a little farther than on a 4 disc system found on most cars now

Mudderoy
11-27-2017, 11:49 AM
Half pedal is OK. They need more pedal on drum brake systems than on disc. So those rear brakes will make the pedal go down a little farther than on a 4 disc system found on most cars now

Ahhhh! The TJ spoiled me. May be time to upgrade the rear brakes.

Mudderoy
11-28-2017, 06:41 AM
Wow! I guess I haven't fought any brake issues in a very long time. Last time was the TJ, which is drum brakes as well. I must have adjusted those tighter since I didn't fight the pedal feel issue.

I did several backup and stops yesterday and this morning, and the pedal is back to the top. I feel confident riding that Honda's ass at 65 mph in the fast lane as people zoom by them at 75 again!

4.3LXJ
11-28-2017, 10:32 AM
:thumbsup:

denverd1
12-12-2017, 11:02 AM
Brakes are over rated. Just toss this out the window when you want to stop.

solid anchor. although, I prefer a danforth style. If its good enough for the Navy....