PDA

View Full Version : Lost tach, speedo, fuel... gauges

ezbuzzsaw
10-19-2017, 12:22 PM
Hello all, I had to remove my instrument cluster when replacing the headlight switch on my 1992 XJ. I took it back out again and refastened the plugs but still nada... Any clue on where to start the diagnoses?

Thanks,
Austin

4.3LXJ
10-19-2017, 12:41 PM
The first thing I would do is clean that plug in the middle. The contacts can get dirty. Also make sure you have it pushed in far enough. That connection can get a little dicey

ezbuzzsaw
10-19-2017, 12:56 PM
The first thing I would do is clean that plug in the middle. The contacts can get dirty. Also, make sure you have it pushed in far enough. That connection can get a little dicey

Thanks, I pulled it off and re-installed it twice, the plug has a detent click when all the way in. I guess it could be dirty but it worked well before removal. I guess I will take the dash all apart again but I thought maybe there was a trick...?

4.3LXJ
10-19-2017, 01:00 PM
That is the first trick. Loosing stuff when you reconnect is a common thing. Check to make sure that printed circuit is in good shape too

ezbuzzsaw
10-21-2017, 10:07 AM
It turns out a pin bent over on the socket/plug, I finally found it and was able to straighten it and all is good again! She is back on the road after a year + of storage. Out of my 3 XJ's and a TJ this is my favorite!

4.3LXJ
10-21-2017, 10:20 AM
Glad you got that sorted out