PDA

View Full Version : Newbie problem wet floor

myraus1965
09-10-2017, 12:07 PM
Hi everybody!

New to this forum and I have a problem which I'd like to see if anyone else had an issue with.

I just purchased a new-to-me 2000 XJ from the original owner. High mileage (365000 kms or 219000 miles) but the 4.0 and AW4 work beautifully. Had to change the original rad and lower hose, plus a new oil pressure sender so far.

When cleaning the interior I found the right front carpet was wet. The previous owner had said that she had a bit of water come in whenever we had a hard rain.

Has anyone else had this issue and what did you do to rectify it?

4.3LXJ
09-10-2017, 01:02 PM
One would think that water only goes down. But first crawl underneath and check the floor board for rust and holes. It is common for them to get spots rusted through.

Pookapotamus
09-10-2017, 01:49 PM
Very common ☹️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

myraus1965
09-10-2017, 02:08 PM
I've noticed some rust patches on the top near the windshield so when I get it replaced I'll repair them and put on a new windshield seal.

Has anyone heard about water coming in via the ducting to the heater assembly?

Allgood Auto
09-10-2017, 02:08 PM
I took my xj through the car wash Thursday after I finished the floorboards, passenger side got some water In it, I think there's a drain that's clogged in the header panel

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
09-10-2017, 02:11 PM
I've noticed some rust patches on the top near the windshield so when I get it replaced I'll repair them and put on a new windshield seal.

Has anyone heard about water coming in via the ducting to the heater assembly?

There is a drain in the blower housing that takes care of any water in the system. If that is plugged, you will get a wet carpet. But the circumstances surrounding that are a wet carpet in the summer when using AC

cantab27
09-10-2017, 09:51 PM
leaking heater core =wet carpet

myraus1965
09-10-2017, 10:44 PM
Before I used my shop vac I took a sample of the liquid and it didn't have much of an odor, and I know what coolant smells like. It definitely wasn't coolant!

cantab27
09-10-2017, 11:00 PM
another way is get someone to run garden hose around windscreen and kinda trace /look for leaks ......they did say hard rain

nickyg
09-14-2017, 09:03 PM
I had a leak on the right side too it ended up being the rubber grommet where the radio antenna came in. It was dry and cracked. I goobed it up with some black silicone and now the only thing that gets wet regularly is my bed.

Pookapotamus
09-14-2017, 09:42 PM
I had a leak on the right side too it ended up being the rubber grommet where the radio antenna came in. It was dry and cracked. I goobed it up with some black silicone and now the only thing that gets wet regularly is my bed.

Try drinking less water!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

myraus1965
09-15-2017, 12:17 PM
Well I found my leak!

While working on another vehicle today, I had a jug of water sitting around and I poured it thru the cowl vent first. That drained out the passenger side by the bottom of the fender. No water going inside!

Next I poured some on the antenna hole. Went off the side of the fender. No water going inside!

Lastly I poured it around the top and passenger side of the windshield. I already had the kick panel over the fuse box pulled off in an attempt to pull the carpet out(more on this in a second), and then I saw where it was dripping down onto the floor. There must be a hole in the base of the windshield letting water come in so now I go digging around the windshield seal. And does anyone know how to get the trim off of the A-pillar along with the grab handle?

Back to the carpet issue. I want to get it out all the way to let it dry and air some of the cigarette smoke crap out of it. The one part holding me back is the console. How do you get it out?:bang:

4.3LXJ
09-15-2017, 12:48 PM
On that console, you kind of start from the top and work your way down. You will have to remove the T handle from the stick and the shift indicator. Then open the console box and remove the screws holding down the back of the cover. There are also two screws in the bottom of the box. Also under the shifter indicator there will be a couple of screws

myraus1965
09-16-2017, 11:08 PM
Well console is out, along with the carpet. It was soaked on the passenger side but the floor is still solid. I have some repairing to do to the driver's side though. Had some fairly big holes from rust so now I need to get a piece of sheet metal and form it, or look into a replacement floor pan.

As to the windshield, whoever was the putz who replaced it put a minimum of sealer on the passenger side up the A-pillar. That's where it was seeping thru. Thankfully, once the floor is repaired and the carpet re-installed I'll be taking it to get a new windshield put in.

MattybPDX
09-26-2017, 10:35 AM
Happens on both sides on mine. I just ignore it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Allgood Auto
11-13-2017, 05:53 AM
Well console is out, along with the carpet. It was soaked on the passenger side but the floor is still solid. I have some repairing to do to the driver's side though. Had some fairly big holes from rust so now I need to get a piece of sheet metal and form it, or look into a replacement floor pan.

As to the windshield, whoever was the putz who replaced it put a minimum of sealer on the passenger side up the A-pillar. That's where it was seeping thru. Thankfully, once the floor is repaired and the carpet re-installed I'll be taking it to get a new windshield put in.eBay, get a set of floorpans for 80 bucks

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

MattybPDX
12-01-2017, 10:28 AM
I got my windshield replaced and it solved my leak problems.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk