PDA

View Full Version : Chinese XJ2500?

sbspence
09-05-2017, 07:55 PM
Has anyone even looked into total cost to buy a new Chinese XJ and bringing it stateside? [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hum Wee JR
09-05-2017, 09:26 PM
Here's what little experience ive had with U.S. customs.

8 years ago I shipped a very rare car to New Zealand through the Long Beach international port. No problems on my end at all. To the best of my knowledge no problems at the New Zealand end either.

About a year ago I checked into buying and importing a jeep into the U.S. I found U.S. customs very unhelpful. I do know the vehicle must be steam cleaned inside and out before shipping. If not cleaned to satisfaction, you will be charged. No price could be given for this charge. There will be a quarantine fee, no price could be given. The vehicle must be inspected, no price could be given. The vehicle must meet safety and emissions standards for the year of manufacture before license plates and registration will be issued. I was told to expect to pay at least 2000 to 3000 dollars. That's my only experience I've had. I didn't buy the jeep.:mad: with no guarantee I could ever drive it on the road. I do know some of the uncertainty to my questions had to do with the year of the jeep. It was old. The people I spoke to did not know the requirements for that year.

I don't know which port you would ship through. But these are some things to ask about with customs and d.m.v.. Good luck, I hope you have better luck than I did. Keep us posted.

cantab27
09-05-2017, 10:47 PM
what did you buy from kiwi land .............................

denverd1
09-06-2017, 09:42 AM
is it getting that hard to find a clean XJ?

bluedragon436
09-06-2017, 11:35 AM
I'd love to find a nice clean diesel XJ to import to the states... but I'm sure it'd never pass emissions or safety..

prerunner1982
09-06-2017, 12:07 PM
You might contact http://www.rightdrivejeeps4postal.com/ (they import Right Hand Drive XJs) to see what the process is and how difficult, approximate cost, etc.

There are/were grille conversions on Ebay... or here: http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=10284

There use to be group buys of the front end, fenders, and taillights on NAXJA.

abebehrmann
09-06-2017, 01:09 PM
I've read it's very difficult to import a vehicle less than 25 years old that wasn't available for sale in the US in that model year. All vehicles 25 years or less need to have US Crash and emissions testing. Once it's 25 years old, though, there aren't as many regulations.

Just for fun I was researching how to get a Land Rover Defender 90 here in the US, and the newest ones you can get were 1991 model year and older.

A little more info, this is Land Rover specific but I assume it's basically the same.

https://eastcoastrover.com/imports.html

Hum Wee JR
09-06-2017, 09:26 PM
what did you buy from kiwi land .............................
Bought nothing, I gave up. I imported a 1956 Powell station wagon. One of only 11 known to still exist. Of those 11 only 2 were the deluxe model mine was a deluxe.

89limited_hero
09-07-2017, 09:47 AM
Might be easier to find an old postal xj that's rhd and do the front end conversion. I believe most were 97+. Would be a neat build and there are companies making lift parts for the rhd xjs