PDA

View Full Version : New to me work/tow rig

OrangeXJ
09-05-2017, 12:03 PM
As some of you know I do hot shot deliveries in Houston and Tx/La. I use to drive a Isuzu 18' flatbed that was wrecked and totaled about a year ago. With the ins. money I bought a larger 22' flatbed that required a CDL. At the first of the year the Fed Gov took over CDL requirements from the states. You would not believe all hoops you have to jump through to get a CDL. After trying for 3 mo. to get one I gave up and sold the larger truck. Mean while I was making deliveries in my 07 F150 and was actually making more money than I was driving the Isuzu. But a F150 is not made for hauling 3-4 200-1200 lb loads a day. We get paid by weight and mileage so I got a F250. Its a 2011 super duty with a 6.7 turbo diesel. It has a 5.5 Rancho radius arm lift 35x12.50 tries its been chipped and tuned putting out 440hp and 890lb torque. It also has the 2015 upgraded turbo, fuel rail and head bolts. It also has cold air filter and the EGR delete kit so I don't have to mess with diesel exhaust fluid. I can say its a pulling beast. It got a work out this past weekend pulling a 14yd dump trailer taking stuff to the landfill from my sons flooded house. Should have no problem towing the TJ when ever I get the time to go wheelin again

bluedragon436
09-05-2017, 02:37 PM
Nice looking tow/work rig you got there.. And should be more useful than the Isuzu which would have been more manly just a work rig.. I had looked into getting a CDL after I got out of the AF, just to have that as another option for work.. but after looking at the hoops as you mentioned it, was definitely not worth the effort to me.

4.3LXJ
09-05-2017, 03:18 PM
Very cool. Gonna use that time towing your play toy as R&D? :D

bluedragon436
09-05-2017, 03:32 PM

Sounds legit to me!!

abebehrmann
09-05-2017, 04:29 PM
Hell yeah, that's a sweet ride! I'm definitely jealous, I hope I'll be able to find one as nice when I'll be in the market in a couple years.

What sorta mpg are you getting after the EGR-delete and chip?

OrangeXJ
09-05-2017, 05:18 PM
Hell yeah, that's a sweet ride! I'm definitely jealous, I hope I'll be able to find one as nice when I'll be in the market in a couple years.

What sorta mpg are you getting after the EGR-delete and chip?

Don't have much driving time in it yet Fri. I took a load of A/C parts to a dealer (250lbs) what little freeway time I had according to the dash display I averaged 20mpg. Towing the trailer dump once I settled in at 65mph it was averaging 17mpg. Not too bad better than the f150 on a good day got 16mpg. Can't wait to get in on the freeway for a couple of hours with the cruse control set on 80.

OrangeXJ
09-05-2017, 07:29 PM

Can't think of much I would change or mod. It has stout axles dana 60 front w/locking hubs and a 10.5" LDS rear (dana 80 for the 1 tons) it will never see any hard off road use just dirt roads getting to an from off road parks. I do go to quite a few construction sites where 4x4 comes in handy.

XJ Wheeler
09-08-2017, 08:23 PM
Can't believe I didn't know this, or maybe my sucky memory is playing tricks. That's pretty much what we do too. Well, we haul for one company but hotshot is where we got started.

Sweet truck! Love the thought of that power capability. I wouldn't want to be lifting heavy loads up to that tailgate though! [emoji14] Watch forklifts on the tailgate too. They'll let anyone drive a forklift and it's not their truck. You thought about a flatbed? Even a 6' wide would be pretty useful in this line of work. Loading from the side, less easily damaged, fit more and some things you couldn't with the stock bed, and you can add removable sides if you still want an enclosed area. Just my .02.

If you do end up going for the cdl be sure to get the hazmat endorsement. Hazmat loads pay very well.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.