PDA

View Full Version : Airbag light - 2000 XJ

weimgl
08-23-2017, 11:24 PM
I bought a 2000 XJ just a few days ago and the airbag light is on. I have read a few places that say it could be the clock spring but my horn and cruse control both work. Can the airbag go out and the cruse and horn still work? I've checked the fuses and the two 10 amp fuses in locations 26 and 27 are both good. I have not taken apart the steering wheel yet to look at the clock spring but I was wondering if anyone out there has had a similar issue. Also is there a code reader I can use to see what is going on? Auto Zone said theirs can not read airbag issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drakan1908
08-24-2017, 04:58 AM
My wife's Subaru Forester started out like that. First the air bag light came on, later the cruise and horn stopped working. Replaced the clock spring and everything was good. So the clock spring could be the problem. I work for AutoZone part-time and the OBDII readers won't read ABS or airbag codes. I understand that the newer more expensive readers will read ABS and airbag codes.

Sent from a van down by the river

weimgl
08-24-2017, 07:41 AM
My wife's Subaru Forester started out like that. First the air bag light came on, later the cruise and horn stopped working. Replaced the clock spring and everything was good. So the clock spring could be the problem. I work for AutoZone part-time and the OBDII readers won't read ABS or airbag codes. I understand that the newer more expensive readers will read ABS and airbag codes.

Where is the airbag control module located? Do you think the ACM my need to be reset or replaced as well?

prerunner1982
08-24-2017, 07:49 AM
I've got a '00 as well that has an airbag light on. Haven't put much thought into it but will be interested to see what solution you end up with.

weimgl
08-24-2017, 08:11 AM
I've got a '00 as well that has an airbag light on. Haven't put much thought into it but will be interested to see what solution you end up with.

Once I figure this out I'll post my solution. I had a '01 that was totaled about three weeks ago. The airbags worked great and my two teenage boys are here today because of it. I will get the airbag issue fixed. Sad to see the '01 gone but I did find a nice '00 replacement

Pinkyman
08-24-2017, 03:35 PM
Im curious as well. Mine comes and goes every once in a while, but my cruise and horn still work, although i have not tested either while the light was on.......

drakan1908
08-25-2017, 06:27 AM
Where is the airbag control module located? Do you think the ACM my need to be reset or replaced as well?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNot sure where the airbag control module on a Cherokee is, on my Grands it is located under the console.

prerunner1982
08-25-2017, 10:58 AM
Originally they were under a seat, driver's I believe but were moved to under the console. In fact there may have been a recall to relocate them.

denverd1
08-25-2017, 11:48 AM
hmmm... maybe I need to disable my bags. Don't want drop off a ledge and have the damn things go off

are there sensors I could remove/disable?

drakan1908
08-25-2017, 03:52 PM
hmmm... maybe I need to disable my bags. Don't want drop off a ledge and have the damn things go off

are there sensors I could remove/disable?I was told that airbags won't go off until a certain speed...30 or 35. This is to keep them from going at slower speeds. Might be something to check on

Mudderoy
08-26-2017, 04:21 AM
Replaced recently in the 99 XJ

http://amzn.to/2gdlgEp

weimgl
08-26-2017, 11:00 AM
Mudderoy - was your airbag light on when you replaced it? Did your cruise and horn work? I had the codes read at a tire place and it appears as though it is the AMC. The tire place said they would not be able to clear the codes due to company policy.

The 4 codes it found were 1, 12, 19 and 21. All related to the control module. I'll try and find a shop that will reset the codes and see if the light come back on. I did disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes then unplugged the ACM for another 10 minutes. Once I hooked everything back up the light turned back on.

4.3LXJ
08-26-2017, 08:37 PM
That should delete all your codes

weimgl
08-26-2017, 08:39 PM
Airbag light is off!

First I found a PDF online that explained what the codes errors were and what to do to correct them. All of mine were stating to replace the ACM. I went to a local repair shop that was willing to reset the codes for me. After they reset the codes 3 of the 4 codes came back on. I went home and disconnected the battery for about ten minutes and then disconnected the old ACM located under the center console. You have to take out the center console to get to it. I let that sit for about 2 or 3 hours because I had some other maintenance items to take care of. I then removed the old ACM and replaced it with the new one from an '01 XJ I found at my local junk yard. Before I made the electrical connection I squirted the male and female ends of the ACM and wiring with WD40 and let it dry for about 20-30 minutes. I then reconnected the battery and started the Jeep - this time with no Airbag Light. I do plan to take the Jeep back to my repair shop and check for codes again.

Thanks to everyone who posted their ideas and questions. I hope this helps someone else out there with the same issue. Our friends at the local dealer wanted $125 to check my codes, $347 for a new ACM and another $150 to install it (the first $125 would be counted toward the whole job if I elected to have them do it) for a total of $497. I got it done with a few trips to a repair shop, a trip to the junk yard. The old ACM coat all of $10.00. I did compare the two ACM's side by side and they each had the same part number and were from the same manufacture. This job could have taken a lot less time but I was busy with other issues and I took my time.

I hope this helps someone with their airbag issues and saves them some time and money too.

northernjeep
09-02-2017, 09:15 AM
Airbag light is off!

First I found a PDF online that explained what the codes errors were and what to do to correct them. All of mine were stating to replace the ACM. I went to a local repair shop that was willing to reset the codes for me. After they reset the codes 3 of the 4 codes came back on. I went home and disconnected the battery for about ten minutes and then disconnected the old ACM located under the center console. You have to take out the center console to get to it. I let that sit for about 2 or 3 hours because I had some other maintenance items to take care of. I then removed the old ACM and replaced it with the new one from an '01 XJ I found at my local junk yard. Before I made the electrical connection I squirted the male and female ends of the ACM and wiring with WD40 and let it dry for about 20-30 minutes. I then reconnected the battery and started the Jeep - this time with no Airbag Light. I do plan to take the Jeep back to my repair shop and check for codes again.

Thanks to everyone who posted their ideas and questions. I hope this helps someone else out there with the same issue. Our friends at the local dealer wanted $125 to check my codes, $347 for a new ACM and another $150 to install it (the first $125 would be counted toward the whole job if I elected to have them do it) for a total of $497. I got it done with a few trips to a repair shop, a trip to the junk yard. The old ACM coat all of $10.00. I did compare the two ACM's side by side and they each had the same part number and were from the same manufacture. This job could have taken a lot less time but I was busy with other issues and I took my time.

I hope this helps someone with their airbag issues and saves them some time and money too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk