PDA

View Full Version : Totaled XJ

weimgl
08-07-2017, 09:25 PM
Good evening,

Yes the tittle says it all. My son's 01 XJ was totaled last week. Some unlicensed driver failed to yield the ROW and my son had no time to react and T-Boned the car. Fortunately he and my other son were wearing their seat belts and the 17 year old air bags did their jobs. Both boys walked away - Praise God!!

Now I get to spend the next week or so arguing with the other drivers insurance company on replacement cost. They have given me a rental for the time being and have agreed it was their liability and will pay for the Jeep and any medical bills. The XJ was for the most part completely stock and I have looked at it's value on KBB. However, KBB is way lower than the "Fair Market Value" for my Jeep. For me to find another XJ comparable to this last one would be at least double the cost.

Does anyone have any experience in dealing with an insurance company like this? What recourse do I have to get the true cost of this Jeep so I can go get another one Tax/Title/Tag included?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinkyman
08-07-2017, 09:31 PM
My old coworker ran into a similar issue, except his was a 95 the he bought new. I would say don't settle on what they have to offer. Make sire that you make it CLEAR that the money they give you needs to be enough to buy an equivalent Xj. If it wasn't all rusted and rotted away, you have that going for you. I would get pictures of every inch of your last Xj (assuming it was in good shape) and start looking at one's with a similar mileage. Searching on searchtempest may benefit you as well. Make sure you send the other insurance agent lots of similar Xjs, and the price of what it's going to cost to get you essentially the same vehicle.

I guess this only really applies if it was in good shape. If it looks like mine, I'd try to buy it back, and take a check for $1000 and run lol

JeeperEd
08-07-2017, 10:42 PM
I went through a similar experience with a drunk driver a few years ago. I was injured slightly, which thankfully your sons weren't, but I contacted a personal injury attorney. Best idea ever. They dealt with all the insurance crap, got me twice what they were going to give me for my ride, and about 30k after their fees for pain, suffering and punitive damages for driving unlicensed and drunk. No hassles whatsoever. PM if you want their name.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

weimgl
08-07-2017, 10:58 PM
I went through a similar experience with a drunk driver a few years ago. I was injured slightly, which thankfully your sons weren't, but I contacted a personal injury attorney. Best idea ever. They dealt with all the insurance crap, got me twice what they were going to give me for my ride, and about 30k after their fees for pain, suffering and punitive damages for driving unlicensed and drunk. No hassles whatsoever. PM if you want their name.

Good advice. How do I PM?

JeeperEd
08-07-2017, 11:02 PM
I sent you the website in forum pm. Go to your profile I think to read it.

abebehrmann
08-08-2017, 09:48 AM
Go to NADAguides.com, enter all the info for your sons Jeep and tell the insurance company you want them to give you the clean retail value of it.

From my experience the NADA value is usually a bit more than KBB. My old State Farm agent in St. Louis told me that when they're negotiating with other insurance companies to get them to pay for an accident, their starting point is the NADA clean retail value.

prerunner1982
08-08-2017, 12:17 PM
Glad the boys were ok.

Have had to fight with insurance companies on more than one occasion, be prepared for them to pull the rental car from you if you don't accept their first offer. Maybe a different story if you get a lawyer.

Hope you are dealing with American National Property and Casualty..... :rolleyes:

weimgl
08-08-2017, 01:29 PM
This will be a learning experience for sure. Thank you for all your suggestions.