PDA

View Full Version : Replaced temp sending unit... think it's lying

efosterw
08-05-2017, 02:29 PM
I replaced the old temp sending unit in my 96 XJ that goes to the gauge... the one at the back of the block. Now my gauge rises to about 250 within minutes of cranking the motor. Just shy of the red. I'm confident it's lying. I can still touch the valve cover and radiator cap without burning myself (too hot to linger very long, though). No steam, no boiling sounds, no weird odors. I really don't think the temp reading is true.

Two things that I think may be contributing:

1) I am struggling to get it seated all the way in and there are 3 or 4 rounds of threads still showing above the block. Is this causing a bad reading? My wrenches are too long to get good turns between the manifold and the firewall, so I've taken it as far as I can get it.

2) I had to file the hex down on the unit to make it fit. The one that came out was 1/2" but the ones all the parts houses carry are 9/16". I couldn't get the 9/16" to go down past the lip on the valve cover, so I filed it down to 1/2". Surely this wouldn't cause an issue?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
08-05-2017, 08:06 PM
Eric, I am wondering if you got the correct sensor. As far as the thread situation, no that wouldn't affect the reading. Generally genuine Mopar stuff is the way to go on Jeep sensors

efosterw
08-05-2017, 08:08 PM
Eric, I am wondering if you got the correct sensor. As far as the thread situation, no that wouldn't affect the reading. Generally genuine Mopar stuff is the way to go on Jeep sensors

I had a similar thought. It was a Duralast sensor from AutoZone. Have to get Mopar from the dealership?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
08-05-2017, 08:08 PM
Should be able to find one on Amazon or Rock Auto