PDA

View Full Version : Led light bar wiring

OGCollard
07-27-2017, 08:37 PM
The relay. So i have an led lightbar i mounted. Getting ready to wire. It shows the switch wired into a relay. The included relay does not fit. I saw that there are two spots for fog lights in the engine compartment fuse box. Is that a standard relay that i can find in the parts store? If so is it going to work with these lights? Its a 2000 xj and the lightbar is the Alpeena 15 inch led bar. Not the greatest but works for me. Is it smart to bypass the relay? I know the toggle switch already has an inline fuse from the battery.

4.3LXJ
07-27-2017, 08:47 PM
Those small relays in your power distribution center are not the same as the run of the mill aftermarket relays. However if you get into the underside, add some spades and wires etc you could make it work. Much easier to use the relay supplied.

OGCollard
07-27-2017, 09:03 PM
I went watched a video or two. I thought you had to plug that relay into the box. Now i know you can wire it, make it waterproof and screw it to side of engine compartment. Did not know that, or spend 12 cks on one that is already wired. Dont use the fusebox at all. Learned somethimg.

nickyg
07-27-2017, 10:23 PM
I used these relays. for my lights. works great so far
https://www.amazon.com/SupportTM-Motor-Heavy-Relay-Socket/dp/B019XKCN2U/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1501212017&sr=1-5&keywords=relay+with+fuse

denverd1
08-02-2017, 01:55 PM
where'd you put the bar? I like the idea of small bar like yours above winch or somewhere on front bumper.

OGCollard
08-08-2017, 01:09 PM
Sorry for the late response. I will try to post pic but i put it on top of top bar of bumper.

bluedragon436
08-11-2017, 06:21 AM
where'd you put the bar? I like the idea of small bar like yours above winch or somewhere on front bumper.

Look into a fairlead light mount.. That is what I bought to use with my winch.. I just got to pull the fairlead off and install the mount and then run the wires for my light bar that I'll have on the front by the winch.. The one I got is from Smittybilt.. so works well with the same brand as the Smittybilt winch..