PDA

View Full Version : What are these parts called?

efosterw
07-27-2017, 03:21 PM
Little help here - I'm learning and have almost zero mechanical skills. What are these parts called? They all seem broken or not attached where they should be. It's a 96 XJ, bought in March, chipping away at repairs. (The one in pic #2 is some sort of connector splitting off from the wiring bundle that goes into the dash. It's hard to see with the dipstick in the background.)https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170727/32117ad5b0d7aab72fe159ae7758568c.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170727/bf7d61c97a0cb8611593fbffaafa02a0.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170727/077c1b5b60a7f39837d0d85eceae4efe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abebehrmann
07-27-2017, 04:13 PM
#1 is the PCV Elbow or valve. Vents positive pressure from the crankcase into the air box. Should be <$5 to replace at autozone.

#2- Not sure

#3- Not sure either, but I have one in the same position. I've been told it's for the cruise control box, but mine never had cruise control so it's always just been sitting there unconnected.

efosterw
07-27-2017, 04:30 PM
#1 is the PCV Elbow or valve. Vents positive pressure from the crankcase into the air box. Should be <$5 to replace at autozone.

#2- Not sure

#3- Not sure either, but I have one in the same position. I've been told it's for the cruise control box, but mine never had cruise control so it's always just been sitting there unconnected.

Good deal. I'll replace the PCV valve. I wonder if you can get an aftermarket cruise control? If I can get this thing where I feel confident that it's reliable, I may be driving it out of town once a month or so. Cruise would be great!

Pinkyman
07-27-2017, 04:38 PM
If I can get this thing where I feel confident that it's reliable

A reliable Xj..... You ARE new, arent you??? :p

The guys here are FULL of great information, so feel free to ask away. And welcome!

Mudderoy
07-30-2017, 05:54 AM
A reliable Xj..... You ARE new, arent you??? :p

The guys here are FULL of great information, so feel free to ask away. And welcome!

All joking aside the XJ has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

nickyg
07-30-2017, 08:35 AM
I believe #3 is for a good mounted work light. Almost impossible to find in working order at the junk yard

Sent from my toaster using Tapatalk

bluedragon436
07-30-2017, 07:08 PM
1 as said is a PCV elbow
2 I am pretty sure is a temp sending unit (mainly used for the gauges IIRC, got a friend checking out his 96 to make sure)
3 I'm pretty positive as said above is for hood work lamp

bluedragon436
07-30-2017, 07:09 PM
1 as said is a PCV elbow
2 I am pretty sure is a temp sending unit (mainly used for the gauges IIRC, got a friend checking out his 96 to make sure)Friend verified, it goes to a sensor on the top rear drivers side of the head, I'd imagine yours would look busted, since it looks like the top portion is still in the connector in the picture.
3 I'm pretty positive as said above is for hood work lamp

efosterw
07-30-2017, 07:19 PM
You're exactly right! I found the sending unit and it's for sure broken. I've tried to find YouTube videos on how to replace it but all the ones I see are for the sensor on the thermostat housing. I read somewhere that on certain models you have to park it at an angle for some reason... is it as simple as take the old one out, put the new one in and top off the coolant? The videos for the other sensor seems to work that way.

XJ Wheeler
07-30-2017, 07:38 PM
It's basically that simple but the reason for the angle is to keep air out and/or "burp" the air out of the system but not really necessary on yours being an open cooling system. 87-91 had the closed system that was harder to get air out of and most likely the model the people noting it have. You don't want air in there.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.