PDA

View Full Version : I have an 88 cherokee 89K miles but needs a good amount of work

tim_van007
07-10-2017, 08:50 PM
Here's the scoop I have an 88 cherokee USA Olympic editions that I was using for a daily driver until I bought my truck. I bought it for 3K with 80K miles two years ago. The interior is in rough shape. The engine and trans are in alright condition. The brakes need to be replaced and it needs new tires and wheels. It has minimal rust, I think the drivers floorboard has a small rust hole and it has a small amount of body rust underneath the door. Is it worth bringing it back to its former glory? Or should I part ways with it while I don't have terribly too much invested?
-Timhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170711/1d14d732b21f6971b3a144ce2c68662a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bluedragon436
07-10-2017, 10:10 PM
Oh yeah.. you should definitely rebuild/build it for sure... Trust me, I've taken my 97 which sounds like it was in worse shape then what yours seems to be in... and I would do it again if I was in the same boat again.. are you looking to upgrade it, or keep it stock condition??

tim_van007
07-10-2017, 10:13 PM
Oh yeah.. you should definitely rebuild/build it for sure... Trust me, I've taken my 97 which sounds like it was in worse shape then what yours seems to be in... and I would do it again if I was in the same boat again.. are you looking to upgrade it, or keep it stock condition??Maybe some small upgrades like a 3 inch lift, a bike rack, and some bigger tires but mostly stock for performance. I bought a ranger and it's not cutting it as far as room so I'd like to get my cherokee to where i would want my gf in the passenger seat lol.

bluedragon436
07-10-2017, 10:16 PM
3" lift and bigger tires... that's how it starts... lol.. Look forward to seeing pics as she progresses.. and feel free to post up any questions/concerns you have along the way!!

4.3LXJ
07-10-2017, 10:32 PM
Bear in mind Tim, these are 300K vehicles. So yes, just from an economic stand point it is worth it.

tim_van007
07-10-2017, 10:35 PM
Bear in mind Tim, these are 300K vehicles. So yes, just from an economic stand point it is worth it.I'm having trouble with where I should start. I'm not very mechanically inclined and I have another vehicle. Do you have any advice on where the best place to put some money into?

4.3LXJ
07-10-2017, 10:45 PM
Pic your tire size and go for it. Get your lift. Then I would replace some sensors that are neglected. O2 sensors to start, then get a genuine Chrysler crank position sensor replace it and keep the old one for a spare in the glove box. After 100K than become worn out and can strand you. But you should change them in that interval. Fix your seats and happy driving

tim_van007
07-10-2017, 10:46 PM
Pic your tire size and go for it. Get your lift. Then I would replace some sensors that are neglected. O2 sensors to start, then get a genuine Chrysler crank position sensor replace it and keep the old one for a spare in the glove box. After 100K than become worn out and can strand you. But you should change them in that interval. Fix your seats and happy drivingThanks! I'll br sure to post a pics!

Pookapotamus
07-11-2017, 08:40 AM
Tim... 2 doors are kind of rare, I am not sure what a USA Olympic edition is ( the Olympics were up here in Canada in 1988) but that would make it even more rare. If it is in good shape I would definitely keep it, but I am partial to the 2 door. I would look into doing some preventive work to make sure it stays in good shape before tires and lift, after you start driving such an old jeep it could quickly develop issues. Also that jeep with 33'd and a small lift will go almost anywhere and will be a very reliable vehicle. The last week spot would be the engine, the 1988 renix 4.0L is reliable but not near as much as the newer 4.0L in the 91+ or even better the 96+ XJ's. It is an easy swap and you gain power as well, but that's something to think about later when you become hopelessly addicted like the rest of us.

What ever you decide keep us posted! 4.3LXJ and myself both have great builds on 2 doors that are sure to give you ideas, and feel free to ask any questions you have, love to see old XJ's get rescued.

And any info on the Olympic edition would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drakan1908
07-11-2017, 08:59 AM
From wiki--Pioneer Olympic Edition*- 1988 included: cloth upholstery, AM/FM radio with two speakers, and an air conditioner.

Sent from a van down by the river

Pookapotamus
07-11-2017, 09:14 AM
Cool! Thanks Brian!

drakan1908
07-11-2017, 09:20 AM
That's about all that is listed for the XJ. There was evidently a YJ version also. Seems it was a base model with special stickers.

Sent from a van down by the river

tim_van007
07-11-2017, 09:57 AM
From wiki--Pioneer Olympic Edition*- 1988 included: cloth upholstery, AM/FM radio with two speakers, and an air conditioner.

Sent from a van down by the riverAwesome I do have all of that plus a little sticker that says USA, with the olympic stickers!

4.3LXJ
07-11-2017, 10:17 AM
Tim... 2 doors are kind of rare, I am not sure what a USA Olympic edition is ( the Olympics were up here in Canada in 1988) but that would make it even more rare. If it is in good shape I would definitely keep it, but I am partial to the 2 door. I would look into doing some preventive work to make sure it stays in good shape before tires and lift, after you start driving such an old jeep it could quickly develop issues. Also that jeep with 33'd and a small lift will go almost anywhere and will be a very reliable vehicle. The last week spot would be the engine, the 1988 renix 4.0L is reliable but not near as much as the newer 4.0L in the 91+ or even better the 96+ XJ's. It is an easy swap and you gain power as well, but that's something to think about later when you become hopelessly addicted like the rest of us.

What ever you decide keep us posted! 4.3LXJ and myself both have great builds on 2 doors that are sure to give you ideas, and feel free to ask any questions you have, love to see old XJ's get rescued.

And any info on the Olympic edition would be appreciated.

I don't know if you should point to my build as an example Dana. The only thing I have left is the unibody and axles, and the axles are on their way out. You will give him too many ideas :D

Pookapotamus
07-11-2017, 11:19 AM
Exactly Steve!

bluedragon436
07-11-2017, 03:10 PM
I don't know if you should point to my build as an example Dana. The only thing I have left is the unibody and axles, and the axles are on their way out. You will give him too many ideas :D

Feel in that thinking... Neither of your builds would be good... unless you're trying to get him overly addicted!! LOL..

bluedragon436
07-11-2017, 03:12 PM
Bear in mind Tim, these are 300K vehicles. So yes, just from an economic stand point it is worth it.

Man, I hope they make it further than 300k... lol.. otherwise I need to start the search for a new rig to build up... lol.. Figure got pretty much brand new axles now (minus the housings).. just got to save up/plan for engine rebuild/refreshing... to keep mine going strong

Allgood Auto
07-15-2017, 07:31 AM
I'm digging the 2 door

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk