PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent rotor/pad noise when turning

packmule1911
07-05-2017, 01:19 PM
Starting to get some intermittent light metallic rubbing noise from the left front when turning. The noise pulses like there are high's and low's like a warp.

Drove along the side of a building to confirm, but straight, and no noise when driving straight. Visibly, the rotors look more ridged than they should be at their age. I don't drive it that hard, and not off-road.

Searched a little, and there was some mention of steering and suspension components bringing something like this about.

Wanted to check here before I dive in.

prerunner1982
07-05-2017, 01:22 PM
Just my guess but I would look at the wheel bearing. The caliper is mounted to the knuckle while the rotor is on the hub/wheel bearing. As you turn the forces are causing your tire to tilt slightly, causing your rotor to rub your caliper.

Again, just my guess. I am sure Steve will pop in here shortly with a much better recommendation.

packmule1911
07-05-2017, 01:28 PM
Just my guess but I would look at the wheel bearing. The caliper is mounted to the knuckle while the rotor is on the hub/wheel bearing. As you turn the forces are causing your tire to tilt slightly, causing your rotor to rub your caliper.
Thanks. I'm being a little lazy looking before leaping, but it's 90+ and humid. There's no A/C in the Jeep, and no A/C where I work on it; the less sweating like a pig the better.

Mudderoy
07-05-2017, 02:21 PM
Yep yep, i'd vote for wheel bearing assembly or nut on shaft wasn't tight enough, but I'd think you would have noticed it long before now.

Charlie Foxtrot
07-05-2017, 07:50 PM
If possible take a pic of the rotor roughness. That will help with the diagnosis.
Things to consider:
How worn are the pads?
Is the wear even?
What is the pad material, ie: ceramic, metallic, organic?
Have you checked the run out of the rotor? (look for a high spot)
Does the brake pedal pulsate?
Is there a difference going in reverse vs forward?

Other philosophical issue:
Why do these problems wait till the hottest (or coldest) day of the year to occur?

Look - if the brakes are dragging you have already damaged the rotor, so 'no foul' if you wait a day or so till it cools down. BTW as the pads wear out & metal on metal starts to occur, it will sound uneven, kind of like high spots due to the variance in surface hardness of the rotor as it eats away. When you do get the wheel off, check the bearing run out and overall condition of the hub bearing (looseness, roughness, surface corrosion on the mating surface of the hub, etc)

You didn't state any info about your jeep, but that's OK. Most quality jeep rotors & pads can be very reasonable online from Rock Auto (look for the discount code - 5% off for XJTalk members) or from Amazon (good deals here also). I can usually do a 4 wheel pads & rotor job using quality ceramic pads & quality rotors for about $100-$120 in parts from RA. Hub & bearing assembly adds a little more (don't forget to replace the three bolts) to the job.

Good luck & keep us posted - photos are a nice addition.

bluedragon436
07-05-2017, 10:47 PM
I'd say the wheel hub/bearing... but that is just because I had a similar sound with similar occurrences on my 97.. I even replaced the pads & rotors... and within no time I felt like the rotors were feeling like they were warping again... after almost dying one day, I figured out one of my calipers was sticking from time to time and was causing some of the issues. so I replaced them both... but started to feel similar feelings of warping rotors again.. but since I got the wheel hub bearings replaced... haven't had any issues out of the new rotors (3rd set now)...

packmule1911
07-10-2017, 01:16 PM
Wheel bearings were fine. Outside pad on driver side was worn down to the plate. Rest of the pads were close to time for replacement as well. Replaced bad and rotor, cleaned the pins, new rubber sleeves with good lube, and made sure I had good range of motion.

carloxj
08-23-2017, 04:48 AM
May be you have a different problem. Try to remove the front drive shaft and test drive.