PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Leak

weimgl
06-15-2017, 07:50 AM
Good morning! Woke up this morning and found coolant on the driveway from my 01 XJ. The reservoir is completely empty. It appears the leak is coming from the front of the engine on the drivers side. I'm going to rent a coolant pump after work and test the system and the radiator cap. Have any suggestions as to where else I should look and what it may be? Fluid levels in the oil, and transmission look okay and I don't see any signs of coolant in the oil, but I could be wrong.

Id like to take a moment for a quick thanks to everyone in this forum. I'm very impressed with the support on this site and the positive support I have received from its members. I'm not on here as much as I'd like to be due to a hectic schedule but the few times I have posted I've received some great tips and solved most of my problems. Heck - I even received responses from mudderoy and nickyg - and know these guys have a lot on their plate yet they still take the time to help out a newbie like myself. Thanks a million for your support and have a great day.

Oh one more thing...I'm catching up on some old podcasts and I'm approaching episode 200. I'd like to put my name in the hat for some of those free prizes...I wonder if it's too late to enter the drawing???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluedragon436
06-15-2017, 03:43 PM
As far as the coolant leak.. was the puddle more towards the front bumper of the Jeep, or a bit further back than that, like maybe in line with the front tires?? If it was more closer to where the bumper is, then I'd say probably either the radiator or the lower radiator hose.. if it's more in line with the front tires, then could still be the lower hose, but could be the water pump or possibly the thermostat housing leaking..

weimgl
06-15-2017, 06:49 PM
As far as the coolant leak.. was the puddle more towards the front bumper of the Jeep, or a bit further back than that, like maybe in line with the front tires?? If it was more closer to where the bumper is, then I'd say probably either the radiator or the lower radiator hose.. if it's more in line with the front tires, then could still be the lower hose, but could be the water pump or possibly the thermostat housing leaking..

I think it's the water pump. The leak has stopped on its own and from what I have learned is that as a water pump starts to go out it will leak sometimes and sometimes not. I saw it leaking from what appeared to be the lower hose then it quit. My guess it is the pump is about to go out and needs to be replaced. Where do you suggest to get a new water pump? I filled the reservoir back up and it is holding at the full line for now but I'm sure it will start leaking again soon.

drakan1908
06-15-2017, 07:33 PM
I think it's the water pump. The leak has stopped on its own and from what I have learned is that as a water pump starts to go out it will leak sometimes and sometimes not. I saw it leaking from what appeared to be the lower hose then it quit. My guess it is the pump is about to go out and needs to be replaced. Where do you suggest to get a new water pump? I filled the reservoir back up and it is holding at the full line for now but I'm sure it will start leaking again soon.

Check Rockauto. They have them for $16 to $59. The $59 one is Mopar brand. Personally I would go for a cheaper one but that is just me. Probably the Cardone brand, most all their products are American made. The Gates one would probably be a good selection also.

Sent from a van down by the river

Charlie Foxtrot
06-15-2017, 08:44 PM
If you decide to use Rock Auto, be sure and get & use the discount code-it's posted on this site. I would stay away from Cardone. The Gates unit is top shelf, new & complete. At less than $20 it is a steal. While you have the system apart, replace the lower hose & clamps. They are cheap, and you already have them off. If the lower hose fails, you'll loose all your coolant very fast (good bye engine, and wallet). Hoses are cheap, and all the rest are easy to replace (anytime) with little loss of coolant, so if $$ are tight, you can wait on those, but replace the lower hose. If you don't like Rock Auto, you can always search Amazon using the part number from RA. Somewhere on this site there are instructions on how to use Amazon to help support this site. I'm sure one of the regulars can chime in and show you where the discount codes, etc are stashed on this site.

bluedragon436
06-15-2017, 08:49 PM

Yeah that is what my GF's LJ has apparently decided to do.. hers had a puddle under it last week, so I did some searching and figured out it was from the water pump..

If you decide to use Rock Auto, be sure and get & use the discount code-it's posted on this site. I would stay away from Cardone. The Gates unit is top shelf, new & complete. At less than $20 it is a steal. While you have the system apart, replace the lower hose & clamps. They are cheap, and you already have them off. If the lower hose fails, you'll loose all your coolant very fast (good bye engine, and wallet). Hoses are cheap, and all the rest are easy to replace (anytime) with little loss of coolant, so if $$ are tight, you can wait on those, but replace the lower hose. If you don't like Rock Auto, you can always search Amazon using the part number from RA. Somewhere on this site there are instructions on how to use Amazon to help support this site. I'm sure one of the regulars can chime in and show you where the discount codes, etc are stashed on this site.

So due to her LJ randomly leaking coolant, I ordered a new water pump w/ gasket, T-stat w/gasket, both hoses, and will pickup new clamps locally.. But go figure since I got all the parts ordered, haven't had any further leakage... oh well, got all the parts in hand, for when it decided to start leaking again..

Charlie Foxtrot
06-15-2017, 09:03 PM
Over the years I have seen lots of water pumps that leak only when hot, or only cold, or only when the cap is loose. If it leaks once, it will dump eventually. Put the pressure tester on it overnight. Try it both ways, hot & cold. Bet you find it. It may take a few days.

weimgl
06-15-2017, 09:20 PM
Over the years I have seen lots of water pumps that leak only when hot, or only cold, or only when the cap is loose. If it leaks once, it will dump eventually. Put the pressure tester on it overnight. Try it both ways, hot & cold. Bet you find it. It may take a few days.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll search for the discount code and also compare prices to Amazon. If I did the pressure test over night will it pinpoint the leak? Auto zone wants $250 to rent the pressure test kit and I get a full refund upon return. Is the pressure test the way to go or should I just spring for the water pump and make the repair without the test?

weimgl
06-15-2017, 09:37 PM
Thanks for all the tips. I'll search for the discount code and also compare prices to Amazon. If I did the pressure test over night will it pinpoint the leak? Auto zone wants $250 to rent the pressure test kit and I get a full refund upon return. Is the pressure test the way to go or should I just spring for the water pump and make the repair without the test?

UPDATE

I made sure the fluid level was full and took it for a drive for about 10 minutes or so. Once I got home looked under the Jeep and the low hose has a pin hole leak that is spewing coolant onto the power steering pulley. Once I replace the hose do you think I should take the time to replace the water pump too?

Charlie Foxtrot
06-16-2017, 07:15 AM
Rock Auto Discount info:
Your RockAuto discount code 612506126225042 will expire on June 25, 2017.

If you or anyone you know is thinking of doing some vehicle repair, now is the time to order the parts!

Using Your Discount Code

Taking advantage of this discount is easy, and will save 5% off our reliably low prices! Enter your code in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart. If you are using our traditional HTML catalog, click the "Apply" button to the right of the field. Your discount will appear automatically, subtracted from your parts order total. Discount only valid for orders placed online.

Pinhole in lower hose - water pump R&R too?:
Probably not necessary to replace water pump. Big 'if' tho. While you have the system empty, and the hose off, remove the belt, grab the W.P. pulley and check for play, bearing roughness, noise - if you find anything but a very smooth operation, replace the pump. Check the belt for wear.

weimgl
06-16-2017, 08:35 AM
Hey that's great advice. Thank you for your help!

weimgl
06-16-2017, 09:09 AM
While I'm at it I may do a transmission cooler. Any type you suggest?

Charlie Foxtrot
06-17-2017, 09:03 AM
No preference. On the shop's dodge diesel truck (our heavy hauler) we found a nice aftermarket unit the size of a heater core that came with a ducted fan attached. I hooked up a switch/relay combo along with a trans temp gauge. I try to let the trans warm up in the winter before using OD &/or hauling, and but the fan continuously when hauling &/or hot ambient temps. Any time the trans temp climbs near/to 150F I switch the fan 'on'. I avoid long periods of idling in 'park'. Mopar trans do not circulate fluid thru the cooler lines in 'park'. Not sure that applies to typical XJ trans - double check the FSM. Our dodge pick ups routinely get around 75k out of the trans. All three trucks, every 75k = trans rebuild. Has been this way since new. Two of them have 250k, the third has 350k. The jeeps do better, much better. Not a better trans, just different use.

4.3LXJ
06-17-2017, 09:55 AM
I have one of those cooling fans/core combos. Mine has a thermostat on it that operates the fan anytime the oil coming out the back side gets over 140°

weimgl
06-18-2017, 10:17 PM
Thanks for all the help. I was able to drain the coolant, flush the system, and fix the leak. While I had the lower hose off the water pump, I removed and inspected the belt as well as all the pulleys as suggested and from what I could tell, everything looked in good working order. I never would have thought to do that. That was the first time I ever removed and replaced a belt - not as difficult as I thought. While I was at it I decided to change the squeaky belt on my Dodge Durango...owning this Jeep has given me the confidence that I can work on my vehicles on my own. And I am having a lot of fun learning about my Jeep!

Charlie Foxtrot
06-19-2017, 08:12 PM
congrats & good work!

XJ Wheeler
06-20-2017, 06:58 PM
Nice work! Glad you found the leak, those pin holes in particular can be tricking as you learned. The hoses are parts that really should be replaced over time. Since the lower got a hole I'd suggest swapping out the upper and heater hoses as well to be safe. Cheap insurance. ;)

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

weimgl
06-20-2017, 09:11 PM
That's good advice. Will I loose a lot of coolant when I do so?

XJ Wheeler
06-21-2017, 07:47 AM
That's good advice. Will I loose a lot of coolant when I do so?

They're all on top so shouldn't be much.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.