PDA

View Full Version : No Honkey!!!

bluedragon436
06-06-2017, 07:53 PM
So a while back after going to the local Jeep club's land and running the trails (mainly swamp land unfortunately, but we're trying to work on changing that).. anyways... one of my two horns quit working... so figured it got filled with mud... and boy did it... went to auto parts store and picked up a new set of horns that were actually bigger and louder than stock.. and better tones too... Well even though I turned them to where I thought they'd be good to go, and didn't think I had sunk the front end in the mud enough to flood them... I guess I flooded at least one of them again... so had only one horn... figured, screw it... I'm going to pick up a set of the cheap style air horns from HF for now, and upgrade to a better setup once I do an onboard air setup... Hooked the one set up one day, to see how loud they were and if they would work... was happy with the sound.. so I unhooked it, and reconnected my OE replacement horns... well went to hook up the "air horn" setup again, and was going to pick up another set, so I can run two airhorn setups to get that much better sound (and grab people on their cell phones attention, as well as folks out on the trail if someone [most likely me] gets stuck or we have to stop).. and for some reason don't seem to be able to get any kind of power @ either of the horns now.. I've tried using a known good ground to rule that out, and still no good... When I hit the horn, I hear a relay clicking in what sounds like the passenger side kick panel fuse panel, but no power at the horn end. If I'm understanding the wiring schematics correctly, if I'm hearing the relay click, then the clock spring as far as the horn goes is good, correct?? Does anyone know if there is a connector somewhere (other than @ the horn(s)),after the relay I can unplug and check for voltage there, or even run new wires from that point to the new horn setup??

bluedragon436
06-15-2017, 07:14 AM
Well after some troubleshooting, following wires, checking the internet for any random fuses... and looking at my Haynes and Chilton manuals.... I've managed to get my 1 weak ass horn working again (apparently it's full of mud as is the other horn...which sucks because these only lasted me like 4 months before I filled them).. anyways... I pulled the fuse when the horns first stopped working and it looked good, as did it again this morning when I replaced the fuse and got my horn working again... I guess even without the only 1 fuse the manual says is in the Jeep for the horn system, the relay still clicks when you hit the horn... So now I can proceed with running wires from the factory horn connections back up into the hood area, so I can do a cheap HF air horn setup (or two).. for a bit until I can afford on board air, and a nicer air horn setup..

XJ Wheeler
06-18-2017, 02:19 AM
Sank mine a while back too, we'll the front end, and just enough to make me replace the horns, HF airhorns, and rock light. I ended up grabbing a zj low tone horn and a caddy horn to replace the stocks with. I can't remember which tone the caddy was (some older caddys had four different horns for seperated tones) but it's much louder than stock and only cost me a buck a horn.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

bluedragon436
06-20-2017, 09:03 PM
Sank mine a while back too, we'll the front end, and just enough to make me replace the horns, HF airhorns, and rock light. I ended up grabbing a zj low tone horn and a caddy horn to replace the stocks with. I can't remember which tone the caddy was (some older caddys had four different horns for seperated tones) but it's much louder than stock and only cost me a buck a horn.

Yeah I'm going to do the HF airhorns for now, at least the set that I already have... and see how that goes... if nothing else, I'll hit up the JY to see what I can find there.. if nothing... then I'll just have an excuse to wonder the JY.. lol

XJ Wheeler
06-21-2017, 07:42 AM
Yeah I'm going to do the HF airhorns for now, at least the set that I already have... and see how that goes... if nothing else, I'll hit up the JY to see what I can find there.. if nothing... then I'll just have an excuse to wonder the JY.. lol
Never a bad day at the jy! Wish it wasn't so hot, I haven't been in months.

bluedragon436
06-21-2017, 09:13 PM
Never a bad day at the jy! Wish it wasn't so hot, I haven't been in months.

Yeah I always enjoy a trip to the JY.. even if I don't have a real reason to hit up the place, or find anything of use.. always just fun to me!! Except for when it's crazy hot or cold.. or in the case of the day I pulled the hatch for my XJ, it started snowing!!

XJ Wheeler
06-22-2017, 03:16 PM
Yeah I always enjoy a trip to the JY.. even if I don't have a real reason to hit up the place, or find anything of use.. always just fun to me!! Except for when it's crazy hot or cold.. or in the case of the day I pulled the hatch for my XJ, it started snowing!!
Me too bud! I am always in such a hurry when I go but I've wanted to go just to look around at the different vehicles, check different engines out, get ideas about swapping interior pieces, look for cool axles, you know... relaxation! I just can't bring myself not to look for specific parts. I do love finding jeep parts. :D

bluedragon436
06-26-2017, 01:00 AM
Me too bud! I am always in such a hurry when I go but I've wanted to go just to look around at the different vehicles, check different engines out, get ideas about swapping interior pieces, look for cool axles, you know... relaxation! I just can't bring myself not to look for specific parts. I do love finding jeep parts. :D

Yeah I always enjoy hitting up JY's, and wondering around... Just wish we had more than 1 that is worth a crap... and wish it was more worth a crap than it is...