PDA

View Full Version : Radiator AT cooling hose - upper

packmule1911
05-31-2017, 10:56 AM
Put in a radiator last night. Hadn't done that repair before. Went fine, but have noticed a small drip of transmission fluid from the upper transmission cooling line fitting area.

I don't think it's from the fitting on the end of the line itself. The fitting screwed into the radiator has thread tape on it, and it screws into a metal washer-like piece that's embedded into the plastic sides. I think the leak is coming from the around the piece embedded in the plastic. When I get time to clean it off again and find the source, I'll know for sure.

If that is where the leak is, what would you recommend to use to seal it for someone who does not want take the radiator back out to return it? I'm thinking a high-temp silicone.

I'd like to seal for now and if it fails later, take it back and use that handy lifetime warranty.

TCapps
05-31-2017, 12:09 PM
I just did mine last weekend. I had the same thing happen. What I noticed in my case was the transmission line wasn't lined up straight when I tightened it down. It wasn't cross threaded. Just the line itself didn't seat flat on the connection. That fixed my small leak.

Sent from my iPhone

packmule1911
05-31-2017, 01:24 PM
Thanks. I'll give that a try. It didn't seem misaligned, but it's permitted to sag more now because the new radiator doesn't have a mounting location for the bracket that holds the line up. I'll fashion something for that at some point.

bluedragon436
06-03-2017, 10:08 PM
I just did mine last weekend. I had the same thing happen. What I noticed in my case was the transmission line wasn't lined up straight when I tightened it down. It wasn't cross threaded. Just the line itself didn't seat flat on the connection. That fixed my small leak.

Sent from my iPhone

Yeah I'd definitely say give this a look... because when I did the radiator in my 97, as well as few others in other XJ's... almost every time I had to fight with the line, and if it went in real quick and easy (when does that ever actually happen)... it was not lined up... it was just a tad bit off, and didn't appear that way at first, but after really looking at it to figure out why it was leaking still, or not seem like the fitting tightened up as much as I thought it should... it did just barely look off.. and once I removed it and took more time (after a quick break)... it went on better and more fully, and fully made the proper seal @ the connection..