PDA

View Full Version : My Top Three Upgrages

Viper1
04-20-2017, 04:21 PM
I have just completed a 1998 Jeep XJ rebuild. This rebuild included a bumper-to-bumper rebuild with an engine, transmission, and transfer case overhauls. To include a 4.5 inch lift with long arms. I received tons of great information from this webssite and other sites that are available on the Internet. I incorporated a lot of tricks and modifications gleaned from this information. However, too me, buy far the TOP THREE modifications for the money vs. results are, number three would be the fuel pressure gauge attached to the fuel rail, number two would be the rear drum to disc brake conversion, and number one would be installing the standard fan clutch from a Jeep ZJ. I used Napa part #272310. Make sure your motor mounts are in good shape. Now for the bodywork, I’m luck that I’m rust free.

bluedragon436
04-20-2017, 09:21 PM
That's a nice and clean looking engine bay!! The fuel pressure gauge is pretty cool idea.. and certainly would help with troubleshooting if anything comes up one day... I run the "HD" ZJ fan clutch... it was quite loud... especially before I got the new gears installed... cause of the higher RPM's required to get going on the stock gears and 33's... but now it's not so bad with the new gears it's almost like the stock as far as sound.. Did that one have a blown engine and trans, or just worn out when you got it, or you just wanted to replace with new/rebuilt stuff??

Viper1
04-21-2017, 09:25 AM
My fan noise is a little louder but it's one of those thing that the owner would only know. As for the mechanics of the truck, at 176,000 miles it had the standard issues, leaking rear seal, valve cover gasket, and cracked header. But one thing leads to another, and darn was it fun.

denverd1
04-21-2017, 10:57 AM
looks great!

bluedragon436
04-25-2017, 10:23 PM
My fan noise is a little louder but it's one of those thing that the owner would only know. As for the mechanics of the truck, at 176,000 miles it had the standard issues, leaking rear seal, valve cover gasket, and cracked header. But one thing leads to another, and darn was it fun.

Yeah I hear that... No one else really noticed the louder sound from the fan clutch... but I sure did... like I said, it's certainly quieter now that I did the axle regear... so the engine doesn't have to be as high of RPM to get it rolling and up to speed...

As far as the standard issues... I'm over 246k on mine, and it has all of those as well... I was just telling my GF, that I have to keep an eye on her LJ... cause while I was doing the oil change this past weekend, I was reminded that mine needs new valve cover gasket and RMS swapped out... and noticed her LJ needs the same.. going to do some more checking... think her RMS might actually be leaking worse than my XJ's ... and I got way more mileage...

Viper1
04-26-2017, 09:25 AM
Bluedragon436, that's very kind of you to help out a LJ owner, you're a good man. I'm the only one in the area that has been working on a older Jeep. I do live in a Dal Web community so I should expect that there are not a lot of Jeep fans in the area!

Be sure to check the motor mounts. It's a funny design that allows way too much movement, but you already know that.

bluedragon436
04-26-2017, 08:56 PM
Bluedragon436, that's very kind of you to help out a LJ owner, you're a good man. I'm the only one in the area that has been working on a older Jeep. I do live in a Dal Web community so I should expect that there are not a lot of Jeep fans in the area!

Be sure to check the motor mounts. It's a funny design that allows way too much movement, but you already know that.

LOL.. we actually have 1 or 2 that I've seen in Dal Webb communities near me... and they're modified a bit @ that... I think it's awesome to see, personally... no judgment here @ all!!