PDA

View Full Version : Tie rod upgrade

packmule1911
04-19-2017, 12:14 PM
Ordering parts from the ZJ tie rod mod. The part number in the post corresponds to a tie rod that doesn't have a place for the damper and track bar to attach to, but other parts with different numbers do. Where I'm getting things wrong?

4.3LXJ
04-19-2017, 01:20 PM
with the ZJ tie rod use the stock XJ drag link. It is the same as the ZJ drag link. Then your dampener will work

abebehrmann
04-19-2017, 01:57 PM
Yep, x2 what Steve said. The upgraded V8 ZJ Tie-Rod (red in pic) goes from the driver's side knuckle to the draglink and the steering stabilizer goes from the axle to the drag link. So the tie rod shouldn't have a spot on it for the steering stabilizer.

If I remember correctly, the draglink in the V8 ZJ is the same as the draglink in the XJ so unless the tie rod end is bad or close to it, no point in replacing it when doing this upgrade.

denverd1
04-19-2017, 02:58 PM
Yep, x2 what Steve said. The upgraded V8 ZJ Tie-Rod (red in pic) goes from the driver's side knuckle to the draglink and the steering stabilizer goes from the axle to the drag link. So the tie rod shouldn't have a spot on it for the steering stabilizer.

If I remember correctly, the draglink in the V8 ZJ is the same as the draglink in the XJ so unless the tie rod end is bad or close to it, no point in replacing it when doing this upgrade.

Truth

packmule1911
04-19-2017, 03:31 PM
Ah, now I get it. Thanks!

Omix-ada is a good bit cheaper. Good enough?

denverd1
04-19-2017, 03:56 PM

yup. its a piece of steel, can't be too tough to get right!

abebehrmann
04-19-2017, 04:10 PM

No problem. It confused the hell out of me when I was ordering parts too, since this damn y-link steering sure makes the names confusing. I'm pretty sure Rock-Auto calls them all tie rod ends, even the drag-link. :crazy:

Omix-ADA is good quality.

denverd1
04-20-2017, 09:37 AM
No problem. It confused the hell out of me when I was ordering parts too, since this damn y-link steering sure makes the names confusing. I'm pretty sure Rock-Auto calls them all tie rod ends, even the drag-link. :crazy:

Omix-ADA is good quality.

you're exactly right. Auto zone is the same way