PDA

View Full Version : P/S noises

packmule1911
04-18-2017, 01:35 PM
What can make a p/s pump whine other then low fluid or a bad pump? Could a restriction in the return line cause this, or debris in the gear box?

I've had a few pumps in it, original and rebuilt, and the whine is nuts. High pressure line is new, flushed and converted to ATF-4, belt is properly tensioned and aligned. Steering performance is fine.

It's driving me nuts, even more so since the windows down all the time due to the a/c being out. When you step on it, it really screams.

Suggestions anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
04-18-2017, 01:38 PM
ATF can make them whine. Any foam in that oil. Some ATF does foam and that will make them whine. Regular power steering fluid is much better for the pump. It has more viscosity

packmule1911
04-18-2017, 01:42 PM
I bled a flush of new regular fluid. It had a good bit of air. No change.

Thought I'd give the ATF-4+ a try after reading about it. No air. Quieter than the other fluid. Much less noise when cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickyg
04-18-2017, 02:34 PM
Mine has been whining for years. I figured something would've have gave out by now but it keeps chugging along. I have noticed I don't hear as much whining when the radio is set on 10.

packmule1911
04-18-2017, 02:37 PM
Mine has been whining for years. I figured something would've have gave out by now but it keeps chugging along. I have noticed I don't hear as much whining when the radio is set on 10.

I get it, but this pitch is an ice pick to the forehead. The radio sucks too, and I have to listen to people all day, driving is my "quiet time".

I've not replace the return line, and am wondering if it could starve the pump if it's restricted.

Maybe the pump is the symptom for the gearbox being a problem. How do rule each one out? If the box is struggling, could that work the pump too hard?

denverd1
04-18-2017, 04:02 PM
When you step on it, it really screams.

Suggestions anyone?

pitch/volume change with RPM should be the pump. although a blockage in the gear would make more fluid back up and cause more whine? no help, sorry

denverd1
04-18-2017, 04:04 PM
When you step on it, it really screams.

Suggestions anyone?

pitch/volume change with RPM should be the pump. although a blockage in the gear would make more fluid back up and cause more whine? no help, sorry

you could pull the gear and flush it with a mild solvent if you suspect its plugged somewhere

packmule1911
04-18-2017, 04:45 PM
Not pulled a gear before. Difficult? Preferred solvent?

4.3LXJ
04-18-2017, 08:43 PM
Is your belt in good shape and tight enough?

packmule1911
04-18-2017, 08:58 PM
The belt is new, as well as the tension pulley, and it was tight when the a/c was worked on Monday morning. I'll check it again. In the past I've been able to get it a little quieter with a looser belt, but that's not the real solution.

denverd1
04-19-2017, 03:05 PM
Not pulled a gear before. Difficult? Preferred solvent?

not difficult. 3 bolts hold it to the frame rail, 2 hoses to/from pump. input shaft and pitman arm. run your seat belt through the wheel before you disconnect the input shaft, will keep clockspring and wiring safe.

However, I don't think its the gear. Have you lifted front tires, same sound? I'd experiment with a few things before tearing into the gear. have someone work the wheel while you listen closely to nail down where its coming from.

diesel as a solvent

packmule1911
04-19-2017, 03:30 PM
I don't think its the gear. Have you lifted front tires, same sound? I'd experiment with a few things before tearing into the gear. have someone work the wheel while you listen closely to nail down where its coming from.

diesel as a solvent

I had it up when I bled the system, and pressed a long screwdriver between the pump body and my ear. The pump's making the noise, but I was wondering about it being the pump itself or some other issue effecting it. Reman and junkyard pumps are not fairing to well with me right now.

denverd1
04-19-2017, 03:55 PM
I had it up when I bled the system, and pressed a long screwdriver between the pump body and my ear. The pump's making the noise, but I was wondering about it being the pump itself or some other issue effecting it. Reman and junkyard pumps are not fairing to well with me right now.

yea I've got a reman gear thats ok at best.

reman pumps start at $60'ish. Auto Zone (and maybe others) will price match rock autos price ($100) for a new pump w/ res.