PDA

View Full Version : 95/92 swap idea.

pointsnorth
03-27-2017, 11:31 AM
Hi. Need some advice from the well versed...

I have a 95 2 door 4.0L. It has all the normal rust issues like most of floor pans are compromised and rockers are just about gone but is mechanically sound. Has AT and NP 231. Has sloppy steering box and no lift other than 1.5 HD springs in rear from summit for towing camper.

I am looking at buying a 92 laredo 4 door that has good motor and AT; has tight steering but has been lifted 3-4". Only issue found in test drives are it has some issues in the 4wd system. The body is fairly nice for the age (only a few dents and chipped areas of paint and 2 golf ball-ish sized spots of rust I've been able to find on underside of floor pan) and the motor and tranny seem good. The tansfer case shifter is marked 2wd 4H Part 4H Full N 4 Lo(NP241 or 242?) and the underside makes noise in anything but 2 WD.I'm thinking issues in front end. Price is great for body alone let alone working motor and AT. How easy would it be to just swap the Transfer case forward; thee shafts and axles from the 95 to the 92?

I don't have access to a lift or air tools; just basic jacks wrenches, sockets and hammers but I might be able to borrow space in a heated garage (Minnesotans will get this) for 2-3 days if I can do it in limited time frame. Any modifications or is it directs swap?

Going to test drive this evening...will look at transfer case for id plate tonight...

4.3LXJ
03-27-2017, 05:04 PM
Shouldn't be any problems. Should bolt in. Make sure you change engine harness and ECM with the swap. Transfer case spline count is the same for both

bluedragon436
03-27-2017, 05:28 PM
Shouldn't be any problems. Should bolt in. Make sure you change engine harness and ECM with the swap. Transfer case spline count is the same for both

Wiring harness should be the same shouldn't it?? since they're both HO models? I can see swapping the ECM as far as electronic side of the engine..

4.3LXJ
03-27-2017, 05:30 PM
I added that as an insurance policy incase there any pin or plug changes. Just pull the engine and harness with it, plug and play that way

bluedragon436
03-27-2017, 05:35 PM
I added that as an insurance policy incase there any pin or plug changes. Just pull the engine and harness with it, plug and play that way

Ahh yeah that makes sense... especially if you got the spare parts rig to pull from... might as well...

pointsnorth
03-27-2017, 09:24 PM
Pulled the trigger...thanks guys....