PDA

View Full Version : Low idle started after check engine light went off

Mr Clean
03-18-2017, 04:44 PM
My issue: After starting and warming up my 2001 Limited, during a stop at a red light, the idle will drop and "bounce" between 200 and 500 rpm and at times completely die. As mentioned this only occurs at a red light or stop either with the engine in D or N. It just started about 2+ weeks ago and is getting progressively worse but only after engine warm up. Other than that it drives great with no other issues.
Not sure if this has anything to do with the problem but about a month and a half ago my check light came on. After taking it to AutoZone and having them check it with a OBDII scanner, I was told the code was my CAT converter and should be replaced. A week or so later the check engine light went off. Fast forward another week the light came on again but only for a few days. I never got it checked this the second time thinking it was the CAT again. A few days later it went off and has been off since which now is going on a few weeks. Not long after the idle issue surfaced. I took the XJ to my mechanic about the idle issue and told him about the check engine light previously being on and what AutoZone told me. He tried to "pull" the previous code from the ECM using his OBDII scanner and he couldn't find any codes present.
Is there another way to "find" the previous codes and would a bad CAT have anything to do with the idle issue?
What steps should I take to systematically eliminate items that could be causing the low idle? Should I replace the CAT after what AutoZone told me even though my mechanic couldn't recover any codes? Sorry such a long read but any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

4.3LXJ
03-18-2017, 09:19 PM
How long has it been since the O2 sensors have been changed?

Mr Clean
03-18-2017, 09:37 PM
How long has it been since the O2 sensors have been changed?
Not in the 10 years I've had it..

But wouldn't I get a check engine code if the O2 sensor was faulting?

4.3LXJ
03-19-2017, 01:04 AM
Not necessarily. The only way you get one is if the wires are disconnected or the heater in them fails. The signal generating part just wears out over time. You might need a cat, but to be sure about that without sniffing the tailpipe you should replace the sensors. You might even get better milage out of it. Worn out sensors will affect the fuel/air ratio and most likely the idle as well as high end performance.

Mr Clean
04-12-2017, 01:24 PM
Just an update in case someone else has had this type of issue. I cleaned my throttle body and IAC valve and it (the low idle issue) has stopped! The only occasional issue I'm having now is the heat sink on #3 which will be taken care of soon.

Pinkyman
04-12-2017, 01:43 PM
Just an update in case someone else has had this type of issue. I cleaned my throttle body and IAC valve and it (the low idle issue) has stopped! The only occasional issue I'm having now is the heat sink on #3 which will be taken care of soon.

I was going to ask about your IAC valve... I had the same issue with mine, i cleaned it, and after resetting the computer it was good as new :D

Mr Clean
04-12-2017, 06:50 PM
I was going to ask about your IAC valve... I had the same issue with mine, i cleaned it, and after resetting the computer it was good as new :D
Same here, runs 110% better

bluedragon436
04-12-2017, 11:22 PM
Glad you got it worked out, and didn't have to throw a bunch of parts at it to get it going good...