PDA

View Full Version : Camshaft for 96 block with 88 (renix) head

88waggy
03-08-2017, 06:04 PM
Questions for y'all if you have, know someone who has done it. My stock renix is puking blow by (water bottle full every 100 miles) so I got a 1996 motor from a buddy which I am going to replace: I've read how to do the swap, I will be putting just the HO block in, keeping renix head and manifolds. Basically a block swap. I pulled the 96 motor apart to go to the machine shop to freshen up so I can rebuild it. The camshaft on it looks pretty sad. I don't want to mess with doing the cam myself so this is where my question comes in. First of all I would like to keep it stock (cam), however, am willing to go with an aftermarket one in hopes of getting a little more bottom end if possible. What I do not want: having to change distributor timing, valve springs, timing chain etc..I know the 96 stock cam is 253.4/259 and am willing to go with comp cam that is 250/256. So driving home today I was thinking, will the 88 (renix) head and valve springs work just as good as the HO head would/should? I know the renix cams are single pattern and the 96 cam is dual pattern. Will the dual pattern can be fine on a renix head without having to chamge valve springs?
Thanks fellow FRoaders.

4.3LXJ
03-08-2017, 09:16 PM
I have a question. Why don't you use that HO head and just change intake and associated sensors? I have done that and it works great

88waggy
03-09-2017, 12:07 AM
Well that is my plan eventually. The HO head needs a lot of work tho, it's kind of a rust bucket (I would like to replace rockers and springs) and I don't have the funds to freshen the head up right now. The 88 head is fresh, Got it done about 9 months ago (should have rebuilt motor at that point but I wanted to do a wheeling trip so I didn't, shot myself in the foot there because I think a ring is broken). How did you switch the sensors? I don't really want to go through the hassle of changing the entire wiring harness

4.3LXJ
03-09-2017, 01:22 AM
pull the whole intake, which has most of the sensors. Make sure you use the correct flywheel for the ecm. Change coolant temp sensor and distributor and crank position sensor. Not a hard job

denverd1
03-10-2017, 03:14 PM
valve springs are fine up to .50" valve lift
you will have to remove timing chain to get to the cam, probably time for a fresh chain anyway