PDA

View Full Version : New to forums, and new to 4x4.

TunzofunXJ99
02-04-2017, 06:09 PM
Hi guys and gals!

I'm a Cali boy, and the first car to my name is a 1999 jeep Cherokee sport 4x4 xj. It was my parents before they sold it to me. My mother had previously gotten into an accident where the front end had been damaged, that caused an overheat which lead to an engine knock... Long story short i'm currently rebuilding an engine from a 96 grand Cherokee. I'm using the original crankshaft and I am using the original connecting rods and new pistons but I am worried because we failed to mark the rods as they came out of the cylinders. My concern is how critical is it that they go back in the same spot? I appreciate the wisdom thanks.

TunzofunXJ99

#ignoranceisnotbliss

4.3LXJ
02-05-2017, 12:06 AM
Had to look up Scotts Valley. I'm in Chico, north of you. Not critical, no biggie on the rods. Many 4.0s need the pistons in the right spot because they balance the engine that way. But the rods are supposed to all weigh the same within reason

denverd1
02-05-2017, 02:10 AM
yea the rods shouldn't be an issue. Welcome

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

XJ Wheeler
02-05-2017, 02:41 AM
Kudos for taking this on! Wish I had the knowledge you do when I was that age (I assume you're pretty young lol) Hopefully it'll be up and running soon and you can start building it!

Welcome to xjtalk!

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

TunzofunXJ99
02-05-2017, 05:54 PM
I don't know what your definition of young is but I'm 25. I am actually using right now... it is my daily driver. I am rebuilding a different engine all together. The 96 is the new engine going into the 99 jeep.(96 grand Cherokee to 99 Cherokee sport) We got the engine out of a buddies Grand Cherokee whos transmission blew up. I have completely disassembled the engine, I have had the block hot tanked, I was having the heads inspected, realized it would be cheaper to replace it. Got a remanded head from ATK out of Dallas (still in transit) So at this point I am ready to start reassembly but like I said I am worried because I failed to number them or mark them... lol I don't see myself as that knowledgeable either but I appreciate the compliment non the less. So if it isn't as serious as I was worried, then does anyone know why so many stress the marking of them? I am just trying to understand... Thanks everybody! I already see that joining was the right move!

XJ Wheeler
02-05-2017, 07:24 PM
I don't know what your definition of young is but I'm 25. I am actually using right now... it is my daily driver. I am rebuilding a different engine all together. The 96 is the new engine going into the 99 jeep.(96 grand Cherokee to 99 Cherokee sport) We got the engine out of a buddies Grand Cherokee whos transmission blew up. I have completely disassembled the engine, I have had the block hot tanked, I was having the heads inspected, realized it would be cheaper to replace it. Got a remanded head from ATK out of Dallas (still in transit) So at this point I am ready to start reassembly but like I said I am worried because I failed to number them or mark them... lol I don't see myself as that knowledgeable either but I appreciate the compliment non the less. So if it isn't as serious as I was worried, then does anyone know why so many stress the marking of them? I am just trying to understand... Thanks everybody! I already see that joining was the right move!

Younger than me! Only a couple years but still, I mean you're rebuilding a engine and sound like you have a good handle on it. Much more than I had then. Lol. By the way the intake manifold on your xj engine should be the horsh-shoe design which is better than the zj intake so you may want to retain that. Might make the swap go easier too with all your original sensors.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

TunzofunXJ99
02-05-2017, 08:36 PM
Really I thought it was the same engine from those 2 models... thanks for the input. I will keep that in mind. I credit the majority of my "knowledge" to my friends and family who have to real know how. I simply turn the bolts they tell me to, lol. Then when they are all stuck I come to you guys, with the hands on "been there, done that" know how. I am currently looking into upgrades for the 4.0... my initial worry was that the old piston rods were no longer useable being that I didn't mark them when I removed them. In order to fix this I was looking into stroker kits that comes with new piston rods and a new Crank... any good suggestions or recommendations of where to look? Thanks again guys.