PDA

View Full Version : '98 Cherokee 4.0L Won't Turn Off

Natedawg63
01-18-2017, 10:15 PM
Aight... first things first. A week+ back I had a no-start after several freezing+ days in Alabama. No fire at the coil. I traced it to a bad PCM. Ordered a rebuilt unit and replaced it today. Finally got it to fire but now I can not get the engine to stop by turning the key to OFF. I have to go under the hood and unplug the ASD relay and it cuts off. I pulled the plug on the ignition switch that is mounted under the blinker unit and it still runs. I get voltage from the 2 pins on the ASD relay with it out and ground on the other 2 with my Fluke meter.

Kinda lost because most Google results seem to be for older or newer Cherokees.

Recently replaced items: New CPS, distributor, full tune up with Denso plugs and nice wire set, Echlin coil, both O2 sensors, new cat and muffler, new battery, water pump, PS pump, serpentine belt. Prob more... my wallet hurts jus typing all that, lol.

Any help is greatly accepted and will answer any other questions.

Cheers...
Nate

4.3LXJ
01-18-2017, 10:48 PM
You might try swapping the AC relay for the ASD and see if that makes a difference

Natedawg63
01-18-2017, 10:53 PM
You might try swapping the AC relay for the ASD and see if that makes a difference

Did that per a Google post I found. Same result.

I kept reading about a 'rod' in the ignition switch that may not be engaging or broken (pot metal) but I think those posts were for pre '90 Cherokees? Not sure the '98 has any type 'rod' that actuates.

Something in the new (rebuilt) PCM would cause this, could it? I dunno.

4.3LXJ
01-18-2017, 11:15 PM
I am not sure about that one either. The key on most XJs only actuates a rod that goes down to the real switch on the top of the steering column under the dash area. If you have that set up you should be able to put your hand on top of the column under there and feel the rods. It will be easier to work with the column if you remove the bolts holding it to the dash area and let it drop.