PDA

View Full Version : Solid D30 diff cover

denverd1
01-15-2017, 10:46 AM
I know a few of us a running solid diff covers. The plug is quite a bit higher on the cover than the stock plug. You guys filling the diff all the way to the plug? seems like a good way to leak about a quart of 90w. will have new seals but wouldn't trust them to hold oil in at that level.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
01-15-2017, 11:08 AM
They should hold. Make sure the vent at the top is clear

JeeperEd
01-15-2017, 11:40 AM
Negative. Every time I filled mine to the top it would push past the axle seals till it got down where it wanted to be and then it'd stop. I had an ARB locker in there too if it matters, but I imagine the result would be the same with or without.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bluedragon436
01-17-2017, 01:20 AM
I've been kind of wondering this as well.. as I'm about to go and purchase gear oil for when I am finally able to get my gears installed, and install the Solid diff covers that have been waiting with the gears to find their way under the XJ!!

Mudderoy
01-17-2017, 03:31 AM
I know a few of us a running solid diff covers. The plug is quite a bit higher on the cover than the stock plug. You guys filling the diff all the way to the plug? seems like a good way to leak about a quart of 90w. will have new seals but wouldn't trust them to hold oil in at that level.

My RuffStuff 8.25 cover has a high hole. I asked them about level. Bottom of the axle tube and on the pinion is what they told me.

bluedragon436
01-17-2017, 08:11 AM
My RuffStuff 8.25 cover has a high hole. I asked them about level. Bottom of the axle tube and on the pinion is what they told me.

So you just guesstimate when to stop filling, since you won't be able to see inside to tell when the fluid is @ the bottom the tube?? LOL

denverd1
01-17-2017, 08:27 AM
on our HP 30s, I don't think the ideal fill level is very far from the hole. I was going to make a dipstick of sorts to gauge fill level. more later. Thinking a bent hanger will do the trick

bluedragon436
01-17-2017, 08:39 AM
on our HP 30s, I don't think the ideal fill level is very far from the hole. I was going to make a dipstick of sorts to gauge fill level. more later. Thinking a bent hanger will do the trick

Read through quite a few similar threads on many other sites for the different Jeep models.. and quite a few people said they contacted Solid to ask the same question.. and they said to just fill to the factory quantities on both axles, and that the fill hole is in a higher location for ease of filling, not to add more oil quantity.

JeeperEd
01-17-2017, 10:00 AM
I filled mine till I could just touch it by putting my pinky finger all the way in the hole (scientific I know) and that seemed to work well for me. Was going to make a dip stick but already have a spare pinky finger if necessary so figured why bother.

denverd1
01-17-2017, 10:13 AM
I filled mine till I could just touch it by putting my pinky finger all the way in the hole (scientific I know) and that seemed to work well for me. Was going to make a dip stick but already have a spare pinky finger if necessary so figured why bother.

This method is definitely a front runner in my mind as a solution to this growing issue in our community.

denverd1
01-17-2017, 10:33 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170117/a6133982c099b37a448ebf4ef100c19c.jpg
Here's a solid D30. About 2 inches higher.

bluedragon436
01-18-2017, 01:11 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170117/a6133982c099b37a448ebf4ef100c19c.jpg
Here's a solid D30. About 2 inches higher.

I can't wait to get mine installed on both ends of my XJ... more so to get my gears installed (and most likely lockers{even if only lunchbox for now})...

myjeep
02-02-2017, 06:35 PM
just fill it with the factory level don't worry about the fill hole.

Mudderoy
02-02-2017, 08:21 PM
I can't wait to get mine installed on both ends of my XJ... more so to get my gears installed (and most likely lockers{even if only lunchbox for now})...

My Ruffstuff diff cover has more volume than the stock cover. So I had to put more in it. Ruffstuff said the fluid level needs to be up to the bottom of the axle tubes, and to the pinion.

bluedragon436
02-02-2017, 11:21 PM
My Ruffstuff diff cover has more volume than the stock cover. So I had to put more in it. Ruffstuff said the fluid level needs to be up to the bottom of the axle tubes, and to the pinion.

Not sure how easy it'll be to see it up to the axle tubes... but either way... plan on having it all done @ a shop, since I don't know how to do gear setup (yet anyways).. You'd think that they'd put the fill holes up to where you can fill to the bottom of them, and have it at the right level..

4.3LXJ
02-03-2017, 09:28 AM
One reason for the high fill hole is that many of these diffs are tipped up quite a bit, particularly on the rear of a TJ or short JK. My own has a 13° angle on the pinion

Mudderoy
02-03-2017, 03:01 PM
One reason for the high fill hole is that many of these diffs are tipped up quite a bit, particularly on the rear of a TJ or short JK. My own has a 13° angle on the pinion

Ruffstuff didn't say why but they did mention the angle of the pinion and that is why they mention having fluid level on it.

bluedragon436
02-03-2017, 07:50 PM

Ahh that makes sense... wasn't thinking about that part.. Either way can't wait to get my Solid covers on... and know that I have that peace of mind knowing have that added protection for the axles..

denverd1
02-13-2017, 11:24 AM
mine took a stinger last time out. glad to have it beefed up a bit. I'll post a pic later

bluedragon436
02-13-2017, 03:08 PM
mine took a stinger last time out. glad to have it beefed up a bit. I'll post a pic later

I'm lucky that right now the worse thing I'd hit it on will be a random hidden stump.. or a clump of clay in the mud... lol.. But hoping once the gears are done and a few other small things I will be able to get up to Rausch Creek and a few other actual OHV places that are a bit of a hike from where I live.. and then I will definitely be happy to have the beefed up covers..