PDA

View Full Version : Engine oil cooler

tiny4321
01-12-2017, 10:21 PM
I have a 1992 XJ with a 4.0 and manual trans 192,000. A couple of years ago I replaced my old radiator with one from O Reilly's. It was one for a auto trans and had the internal trans cooler. I have flushed my cooling system and have a oem t -stat and new water pump with the Rad.
My thought is what if I got a sandwich oil diverter and ran lines from the engine to the unused trans cooler in the Rad and back to the into the filter back to the motor. Here in Arkansas we have about a two month winter and the rest of the time it is hot, very hot. I have had cooling issues with the XJ every since I have had it. Its not catastrophic hot but hotter than i would prefer in the summer. Now to the question. Does anyone know if the journals in an OEM trans cooler are substantial enough to flow enough oil so that the motor does not become starved of oil from a bottleneck situation. I am not expecting this mod to drop the engine temps a lot but my idea is that it would bring it down just a few degrees if it is able to flow enough. There would also be the added benefit of larger capacity would appreciate any thoughts

denverd1
01-13-2017, 01:30 AM
I have a 1992 XJ with a 4.0 and manual trans 192,000. A couple of years ago I replaced my old radiator with one from O Reilly's. It was one for a auto trans and had the internal trans cooler. I have flushed my cooling system and have a oem t -stat and new water pump with the Rad.
My thought is what if I got a sandwich oil diverter and ran lines from the engine to the unused trans cooler in the Rad and back to the into the filter back to the motor. Here in Arkansas we have about a two month winter and the rest of the time it is hot, very hot. I have had cooling issues with the XJ every since I have had it. Its not catastrophic hot but hotter than i would prefer in the summer. Now to the question. Does anyone know if the journals in an OEM trans cooler are substantial enough to flow enough oil so that the motor does not become starved of oil from a bottleneck situation. I am not expecting this mod to drop the engine temps a lot but my idea is that it would bring it down just a few degrees if it is able to flow enough. There would also be the added benefit of larger capacity would appreciate any thoughts
initial thoughts are that the oil pump isn't designed to push oil through hose then the cooler then back to the pan. unless you put an electric pump on a line straight from the pan.

I'd add another fan on a relay with the clutch fan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
01-13-2017, 11:02 AM
The Jeep 4.0 engine cooling system is a little funky. Supposedly they run at 210°. But in reality, the temp gauges are off. If you verify the temps with actual measurement of cooant, then they usually run about 200°. But that being said, you would be better off with an aux cooler somewhere else. After all, you would still be dissipating the same amount of heat in the same coolant.