PDA

View Full Version : TrueTrac in the front ARB in the rear at a later date..

whosINAxj
12-10-2016, 09:35 PM
Hello guys I wanted to get your option of the direction in planning on going With my XJ. The plan is to build a Rubicon Trail capably rig that can be an over lander camper for ghost towns and surf trips down the coast.
I wanted to get a Detroit Truetrac front LSD and a ARB Locker for the rear.

I'm running a high pinion Dana 30 front with a Chrysler 8.25 from a 98XJ. So I think the Chrysler that I have has the higher axle spline count.

I thought about a Detroit Locker up front instead of the TrueTrac but I heard they can be a bit tricky to navigate down hill and with the little Dana 30 up front I don't want to brake stuff right out the gate. haha

Currently Running 33's but end game would be to run 35's.

Do you think the TrueTrac pairs well with a full locking rear?

Thanks for all you help. :xj-black:

Mudderoy
12-10-2016, 11:08 PM
Hello guys I wanted to get your option of the direction in planning on going With my XJ. The plan is to build a Rubicon Trail capably rig that can be an over lander camper for ghost towns and surf trips down the coast.
I wanted to get a Detroit Truetrac front LSD and a ARB Locker for the rear.

I'm running a high pinion Dana 30 front with a Chrysler 8.25 from a 98XJ. So I think the Chrysler that I have has the higher axle spline count.

I thought about a Detroit Locker up front instead of the TrueTrac but I heard they can be a bit tricky to navigate down hill and with the little Dana 30 up front I don't want to brake stuff right out the gate. haha

Currently Running 33's but end game would be to run 35's.

Do you think the TrueTrac pairs well with a full locking rear?

Thanks for all you help. :xj-black:

I don't have any personal experience with lockers, other than the two I have behind me waiting to be installed, but I would think you would want a selectable locker in the front. I guess taking it out of 4x4 makes it selectable but I like the idea of having to work one button (or lever) and keeping it in 4x4. I like the idea of the detroit up front, and I don't see how that will make it any worse on the D30 than the LSD. It's your foot that's going to break the D30 not the locker.

4.3LXJ
12-10-2016, 11:18 PM
I have an auto locker in the front. Works great up hill, but on steep downhill, good but not great. I can't make tight turns on switchbacks on some of them without a short back up. Really isn't a big deal though. With the D30, I would not recommend an ARB with 35s. Too much for it. Could get away with 33s though and use it judiciously. Nice thing about a front ARB is turning it off for tight steering situations

cantab27
12-10-2016, 11:57 PM
selectable locker in the front .............my 2cents

denverd1
12-15-2016, 12:01 PM
It's your foot that's going to break the D30 not the locker.

IMO its a combination of the 2. more skinny pedal and no locker doesn't mean much as the power gets tranferred randomly depending on traction. If its locked and you put your foot into it, your putting power through the axle to the tires. could be transferring all that torque to 1 tire (and 1 axle shaft) if you've got the other in the air.

agree that locking a d30 with 35s is asking for trouble, although a local guy wheeled his XJ hard on 35s for a long time with both locked before going to portals.

putting my front locker in soon (maybe this wknd) so I'll have both locked. both are auto lockers on my trail rig. I'll have ARBs eventually but will likely be in different axles

jeeptec1
07-19-2017, 07:54 PM
I have this combo in my 2000. It works good for most everything except rock crawling where you lift a front tire. The true track need wheel speed for limited slip gears to grab. If your know your gonna be lifting 1 front tire rock crawling at low speeds go with a selectable locker.the 30 will live if you have good axles and an automatic and drive it with caution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk