PDA

View Full Version : My new daily driver.

Oregon_XJ
12-04-2016, 01:59 PM
Hello everybody.

Yesterday I bought a 1986 XJ 4 door. It's stock, with the 2.8L V6 and manual transmission.

I bought it because:

1) It was really inexpensive.
2) I can really use another 4WD vehicle.
3) It's body is really straight and I cannot believe how nice the interior is for a 30 year old vehicle.

It will be used as a part time daily driver for bad weather, and to keep from racking up the miles on my Jaguar XJR.

My wife drives a GMC Denali.

I used to have several hot rods and a show car, but now I am down to these three.

Thanks for this forum. I look forward to learning a lot from all of you.

This XJ has a few issues to sort out. It's not really the engine I wanted, but again, it was such a good deal, I couldn't pass it up.

I have no plans on modifying the XJ. That said, I pretty much end up modifying my vehicles one way or another. I can't help it.

I am very happy working in my garage.

Best wishes to you all,

Stewart

4.3LXJ
12-04-2016, 02:05 PM
Welcome Stewart. I have an 86 too, that used to have a 2.8L. The only real problem with them is the rear main leaks easily on them. Otherwise, it works OK in the XJ. I used to get 22 mpg with mine

Oregon_XJ
12-04-2016, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah, I've got to track down three issues, and one is an oil leak. The other two are a leak somewhere, as the passenger floor gets wet from rain, and what I think is a fuel starvation issue.

I will get them sorted out. I always do.

MattybPDX
12-04-2016, 04:47 PM
Hey hey fellow Oregonian! There a few of us on here.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

denverd1
12-04-2016, 09:45 PM
Welcome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

XJ Wheeler
12-05-2016, 03:10 AM
Sounds like you need to combine your skills. An XJ hot rod! :D

Welcome to xjtalk!

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.