PDA

View Full Version : Chevy 3500 transmission trouble

XJ Wheeler
10-28-2016, 09:26 AM
Hey guys, in need of some help. Our 2010 chevy 3500 6.0 gas auto 2wd dually work truck is having some trouble shifting.

The more minor is its slipping a little from one gear to the next. The more major is slipping a good bit. Like taking off from a light you rev it, it moves lightly then slams into gear and takes off. Also on the highway it's revving to 3500 and not shifting then let off it might shift. The rpms are jumping around some too. And the worst, there's metal glittering in the fluid, but the fluid is still pink/red.

I'm thinking torque converter but would prefer to get a second opinion before dropping $500 on a new one. I definitely don't want to go to a trans shop or dealer to get gouged but sadly we may not a choice. And worse we're loaded with lots of parts at about 4k lbs or more.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

XJ Wheeler
10-28-2016, 09:50 AM
Current check

4.3LXJ
10-28-2016, 10:37 AM
Jake, that doesn't sound good. If it is slipping, then that is a death bell sounding off. If there is metal in the fluid, that is a real no no too. At the very least, change that fluid a couple of times to get rid of the metal. Any tranny codes on that? CEL?

XJ Wheeler
10-28-2016, 10:48 AM
No light. Haven't checked for codes though. I keep thinking the torque converter because our last truck had similar problems and that's what it was but I don't remember if the fluid has metal in it. I really hope it's not gonna need a trans. Finances are already really tight.

We'll change the fluid, but we're actually working right now and it's gotta make another 200 miles to drop this load. And I think we'll have to fix it this weekend, or find a shop to fix it if it's the trans.

XJ Wheeler
10-28-2016, 12:22 PM
It just revved to 4k with no reason, engine light came on, and we checked codes. Three came up. P0700, P0796, P0741

4.3LXJ
10-28-2016, 12:41 PM
700 Transmission control system malfunction

796 Pressure contro solenoid

741 Torque converter clutch circuit performance or stuck off

Which transmission do you have?

XJ Wheeler
10-28-2016, 12:54 PM
6L90

4.3LXJ
10-28-2016, 12:57 PM
Not familiar with that tranny. But a place to start is the pressure regulator valve. It will be located inside the pan area at the front. Should be electronic. You will need to pull it and put an ohm meter on it. I am guessing that is the big problem. It is electronically controlled and if it fails, you have a NO VA (no go in Spanish)

XJ Wheeler
10-28-2016, 12:59 PM
That wouldn't cause the metal flakes though, right?

4.3LXJ
10-28-2016, 01:01 PM
No, it would not. But the flakes could make it not function properly

XJ Wheeler
10-28-2016, 01:07 PM
I gotcha. Im wondering what damage the metal may have caused internally as well. Even if we fix the pressure regulator valve, torque converter, whatever the problem actually is, I think damage may have been done to where the trans is going to have more problems soon.

We've lined up a shop to look at it but I'm not ambitious about honesty. I don't trust shops, especially transmission shops.

4.3LXJ
10-28-2016, 01:09 PM
I hear ya on shops. Seems like the only thing they do is replace or rebuild, and it is not cheap

XJ Wheeler
10-28-2016, 01:17 PM
I hear ya on shops. Seems like the only thing they do is replace or rebuild, and it is not cheap
You're right there! Just calling some to get figures and ideas they won't install a torque converter alone, but will with a rebuild. :bang:

denverd1
10-28-2016, 01:33 PM
tranny shop - nothing shadier in my book

XJ Wheeler
10-28-2016, 03:02 PM
It made it! Wasnt easy, and probably angered a few drivers but the load is dropped.

Sooo. One of our bosses had a relative that owns a trans shop locally so we headed over there and he looked at it. He said the torque converter is breaking apart and the trans has two internal slipping issues. Need both a converter and trans. With that much metal it's a big problem. He says he may be able to find a great deal on a rebuilt one with a really good warranty since we drive it so much. He says he can get that sometimes. Hopefully that works out. He's quoting about 1k cheaper than others wanted for just a rebuilt trans. Hope that sticks....

Also learned it's not the best trans and this has the highest miles he's seen on one (273k).

XJ Wheeler
10-28-2016, 03:52 PM
Well, he called his suppliers and the price went up $1500 so we walked. Headed to another shop.

4.3LXJ
10-28-2016, 03:55 PM
Hope this gets resolved for a decent price soon.

XJ Wheeler
10-28-2016, 04:02 PM
Hope this gets resolved for a decent price soon.
Thanks Steve. It's not a good time for this at all.

4.3LXJ
10-28-2016, 04:21 PM
It wouldn't be for me either.

XJ Wheeler
10-30-2016, 04:16 AM
Finally got it to a shop Friday night and they're gonna look at it monday. I have no doubt the result will be a new transmission. They're quoting about $3k but I'm not holding my breath. It was one rough day for sure. And add to it I had only had about 1-2 hours of sleep. But we did get a little comic relief when they put us in this tiny car we dubbed the polished turd. A Chevy Sonic. Quick review... "don't buy one" I feel more stable in my xj at speed. And the whole side of the car is doors. There maybe 3 feet that doesn't hinge on each side between the small fender and almost nonexistent quarter panel. It's quite gutless too. And passenger leaning does affect handling. I don't know how people can drive things this small and smaller and feel safe. Granted I'm coming from a 1 ton crew cab dually it's still like driving one of those cartoonish smooshed diecast cars.

It just happens that when we need one of our other vehicles to use none of them are ready.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161030/2d98a99f083373e3d24dd0c137d2e728.jpg