PDA

View Full Version : Toe In

spacerag
10-24-2016, 11:27 AM
Hi guys!

I've been fiddling with my toe-in on my truck lately and I can't seem to find a spot that "feels" quite right. Part of me thinks it's just paranoia, but I wanna be sure. I think I've tried just about every method (excluding the one where you go pay someone to do it obviously).

I've tried the string method, I've used a telescoping broom handle, tape measures, and eyeballing it by sighting down the sidewalls of the front and rear.

To me, the best method (and by that, I mean the most accurate) has been to eye ball it. The tape measure method - which seems to be the most recommended - was by far the worst way. That's what I found anyway.

I'd love to know what everyone else's favorite method of finding toe-in is. How do you check?

4.3LXJ
10-24-2016, 11:41 AM
I use the tape measure to get it close and then let the professionals take care of it

prerunner1982
10-24-2016, 11:43 AM
Not sure eye balling can differentiate between the 1/8th" or so that the tires should be towed in.

I have used the tape measure method with great success. My 2000 XJ is in need of an alignment soon...

4.3LXJ
10-24-2016, 12:48 PM
Bear in mind also that the front end is wider than the rear end. That could cause you to be towed out by quite a bit

spacerag
10-24-2016, 01:14 PM
Oh no, really? I always thought the XJs had the same track width from front to back. Well, that explains a lot. Some days you just feel dumb.

MattybPDX
10-24-2016, 02:35 PM
I just used a tape measure. Measured the back of the front tires, measured the front, then made any adjustments needed. Had no issues. My toe in was 1/4" and I brought it down to 1/8". I'm amazed that didn't give me any problems.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

abebehrmann
10-24-2016, 03:28 PM
I used a sharpened nail sticking through a 2x4 to scribe a thin line on the tread of each tire because I was worried that I wouldn't be measuring from the same part of each tread lug, and then used a tape measure and my girlfriend to set the toe-in to 1/8''. 20k miles and a few tire rotations later and they're still wearing nice and even. I'm thinking I should be able to get at least 60k miles out of them if I stay with the 31'' tires for a few more years.

XJ Wheeler
10-24-2016, 04:03 PM
I jack the front end up, spin the tire and use a chalk marker to mark a line as close to perfect as possible around the whole tire in the center of the tread. Then my brother and I measure the front and back, easy peasy!

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

spacerag
10-24-2016, 04:37 PM
Well, with all this positivity towards tape measures, I figured I'd give it another whirl. I grabbed my favorite tape measure and rolled around on the floor for awhile. Turns out I was about 1/8th toed out. Not HORRIBLE, but definitely not good. It explains the weird steering feels.

I believe I now have it set to very nearly exactly 1/8th toe in.

I really do appreciate all the feedback from you fine folks!

XJ Wheeler
10-24-2016, 05:30 PM
Hope it helps! I'm one of those people that just can't see spending the same $100+ that all these ifs/irs cars pay for two adjustment points! If it had adjustable camber, caster (yes some do but still easily done on these) and all definitely but not for these.

spacerag
10-24-2016, 06:18 PM
You guys all rock! Just got back from a cruise and the steering has actually never felt better. Thanks again for all the tips.

I like that idea of spinning the tire for a consistent line all the way around. Luckily my tires are still new enough that I could still see a nice seam down the centre.

Why didn't I just take it in for an alignment from professionals? Well, I simply can't afford to throw $100+ at a shop that's likely just going to let a 1st year apprentice do the job. I really don't have a lot of faith in "real" mechanics and sometimes my bias shows. My apologies for that.

If the job was more complex, or I actually had a mechanic I trusted, then perhaps I'd consider it. In the end, all I *really* needed was to be smarter than my tape measure. As well, a sick part of me takes pleasure in learning from my own mistakes.

MattybPDX
10-24-2016, 06:35 PM
You guys all rock! Just got back from a cruise and the steering has actually never felt better. Thanks again for all the tips.

I like that idea of spinning the tire for a consistent line all the way around. Luckily my tires are still new enough that I could still see a nice seam down the centre.

Why didn't I just take it in for an alignment from professionals? Well, I simply can't afford to throw $100+ at a shop that's likely just going to let a 1st year apprentice do the job. I really don't have a lot of faith in "real" mechanics and sometimes my bias shows. My apologies for that.

If the job was more complex, or I actually had a mechanic I trusted, then perhaps I'd consider it. In the end, all I *really* needed was to be smarter than my tape measure. As well, a sick part of me takes pleasure in learning from my own mistakes.
There is almost nothing a mechanic can do to your rig that you can't do yourself with some beers, this forum and YouTube. That's part of the reason I love my Jeep, it got me in to actually understanding what everything is,how it all works and how to fix it. A good thing to do is join some local jeeper fb groups. If you have any issues that you feel are too big for you there will definitely be some guys willing to help. Best of all they'll let you pay them in beer.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

XJ Wheeler
10-24-2016, 07:37 PM

Boy I could tell you some stories! I won't go on and on but one consists of a dealership (the ones that charge enough to be brain surgeons) about fifteen years ago that replaced a radiator on our '93 Grand Cherokee and forgot to bolt the fan down... needless to say a few more parts got replaced.... and.... a piece of metal flew over into an engine of a wrangler with the cylinder head off... and sealed it up like that. Never knew what happened but I can't imagine it was cheap! I've got many stories like it from my childhood. So now I rarely call upon anyone to work on our vehicles. I've learned a ton and eager to continue gaining knowledge.

We could've have saved so much money if we worked on our stuff then. [emoji30]