PDA

View Full Version : Need New Leaf Packs

Logans91XJ
12-01-2009, 11:01 AM
So when I bought my Jeep about 6 months ago from a good friend of mine It came with a 3.5" RE Super Ride Kit with a AAL. I'm getting ready to swap in my new rear axle a Chrysler 8.25 and my Jeep needs new leaf packs along with new rear shocks.

So I live about 15 mins from Rubicon Express but I wanted to see what else is out their and if anyone has opinions of where to buy leaf packs

I have been looking at Old Man Emu leaf packs but I can't figure out what size lift they use.

My future plans is buy a 4.5 to 5.5" lift from Iron Rock Offroad and it will come with new leafs but for right now I need fix my saggy rear end..

So feel free to chime in what you think I should run that will give a nice ride but will still do well offroad.

xj4life2
12-01-2009, 05:08 PM
I would stay with RE all the way, If you go there talk to Mike tell him Mark from payless sent ya, he should hook you up. Mabey some take offs or something to get ya by. Or use some S10 springs and make a B pack thats the cheapest way out

DETOURS
12-01-2009, 06:45 PM
I say stay away from RE, but hey....thats just me.........If you're just looking for spring right now, go over to Rusty's........NON, of these companies make their own springs except...maybe....BDS.....OME......simple spring replacement, head over to Rusty's...

Voldemort
12-01-2009, 10:20 PM
I say stay away from RE, but hey....thats just me.........If you're just looking for spring right now, go over to Rusty's........NON, of these companies make their own springs except...maybe....BDS.....OME......simple spring replacement, head over to Rusty's...

I have to agree, RE is extremely over priced and over rated in my opinion.

AJ99
12-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Use MJ leafs!!! Cut the eyes off and reuse your main. It got us about 6 ins on our go fast jeep!!!!

Logans91XJ
12-03-2009, 07:25 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies! A couple of my close friends who have XJs and that our lifted have told me to Stay away from Rusty's leafs only because they sag pretty quickly but I have heard that Rusty's redesigned their leafs or changed some things about them.

I must agree with a few of the post's RE is really great and all but I must admit their stuff is overpriced and their customer service is hit or miss.

I am starting to lean towards doing a bastard pack. For one I want to go to a 4.5" lift and these leafs would only be temp until I can afford a lift kit with everything including brand new leafs.

Logans91XJ
12-03-2009, 07:27 AM
So I have done some research on bastard packs but someone feel free to chime in and school me.

I am finding a S-10 truck or blazer and taking their main leaf with the eyes and cutting that off? Then am I using more of their leafs and less of mine?

Logans91XJ
12-03-2009, 07:36 AM
Rusty's wants $229.00 for the pair and I'm not sure what shipping is going to cost.
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RC-LS350-XJ&Category_Code=LEAF

Rubicon Express wants $174.00 per leaf pack
http://rubiconexpress.com/Jeep/XJ/Product.aspx?folder=XJLS&part=RE1463

Mudderoy
12-03-2009, 09:01 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies! A couple of my close friends who have XJs and that our lifted have told me to Stay away from Rusty's leafs only because they sag pretty quickly but I have heard that Rusty's redesigned their leafs or changed some things about them.

I must agree with a few of the post's RE is really great and all but I must admit their stuff is overpriced and their customer service is hit or miss.

I am starting to lean towards doing a bastard pack. For one I want to go to a 4.5" lift and these leafs would only be temp until I can afford a lift kit with everything including brand new leafs.

I've dealt with Ron at 4wheelingplus.com (4wheelingplus is where I bought my lift from) and Rough Country and both had great customer service.

Mudderoy
12-03-2009, 09:04 AM
Rusty's wants $229.00 for the pair and I'm not sure what shipping is going to cost.
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RC-LS350-XJ&Category_Code=LEAF

Rubicon Express wants $174.00 per leaf pack
http://rubiconexpress.com/Jeep/XJ/Product.aspx?folder=XJLS&part=RE1463

It's been about a year now, but I got 4.5" leaves direct from Rough Country for $235 shipped. That seems like a great price on the RE's, but then again I've never priced a 3.5".

DETOURS
12-03-2009, 10:28 AM
I've collasped a pair of 4.5 RE leafs in a years time. :popcorn:

4.3LXJ
12-03-2009, 11:07 AM
So I have done some research on bastard packs but someone feel free to chime in and school me.

I am finding a S-10 truck or blazer and taking their main leaf with the eyes and cutting that off? Then am I using more of their leafs and less of mine?

To get 4.5" or something close, you will need the heavy duty four leave spring from the 96 or older S10. Cut the eyes off so that they are not longer than your main. You will need a new center pin (or center bolt if your are old school). The S10 spring uses a 3/8" bolt. The XJ uses a 5/16". Don't try to substitute. These are special soft, but durable bolts made just for this purpose. Making that hole in the main bigger can be a real pain. If you don't have the tools or anything, you can use the smaller bolt. If you end up a 1/2" low in the rear or something, just get a 1/2X2 1/2 flat bar and drill it and run the center bolt through it and make it part of the spring.

xj4life2
12-03-2009, 11:50 AM
I've collasped a pair of 4.5 RE leafs in a years time. :popcorn:

Six years and all is well with mine so far, they are the 4.5" also

Logans91XJ
12-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies this forum has been great help.

I have tons of tools and feel confident about making a Bastard Pack. Right now I am really only looking for 3 1/2" of lift to match my front.

If I was going to buy from RE I would just drive to their place since it's only 10 miles away. Mainly to save on Shipping but I will remember that website for future purchases.

So someone please school me on the center pin or main bolt? What makes it so special I am sure once I take apart my leaf packs I will understand but in the mean time.

Sorry but to really clear things up am i just using the main leaf from the s-10 and no more than that?

Anyone have any idea on what the cost of the main leafs from pick-n-pull?

DETOURS
12-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Six years and all is well with mine so far, they are the 4.5" also

Let me be out spoken: You dont do rock........If U do, submit photo's of some stone.........and no dilly dally cement amuisment park crap.

This stuff is sold as trail/stone/rock duty...............lets see some pics of what you've put it thru......the springs I paid RE for came visually mismatched from the get go, from there......they just failed.......along with their front coils over the same years time...........although I'm not against putting a front tire against a tree and going virtical............maybe I expected toooo much........

Logans91XJ
12-03-2009, 07:47 PM
Alright now Spanky easy does it....

Hey I found a guy on Craigslist with Stock 2001 XJ Rear Leafs for 20.00$$ Will these work for a bastard pack...
Need a semi fast reply..

thank you everyone for all your help

4.3LXJ
12-03-2009, 08:42 PM
So someone please school me on the center pin or main bolt? What makes it so special I am sure once I take apart my leaf packs I will understand but in the mean time.

Center pins are available at most real auto parts stores. Doorman is a good brand. They are real handy for these types of jobs because they come in various lengths and are threaded almost all the way down. There is four inches difference between the free arch of an Xj and S10 main leaf. That is a big gap and a 5 1/2" bolt is real handy for this. Use a "C" clamp to collapse the pack. I don't know all the metallurgy involved for thee bolts, but they are soft. But they will hold up longer than a modified grade 2 bolt which is harder. Also a grade 8 is too brittle and will break. So just use them. They are not that expensive.

4.3LXJ
12-03-2009, 08:44 PM

I have tons of tools and feel confident about making a Bastard Pack. Right now I am really only looking for 3 1/2" of lift to match my front.

If I was going to buy from RE I would just drive to their place since it's only 10 miles away. Mainly to save on Shipping but I will remember that website for future purchases.

Sorry but to really clear things up am i just using the main leaf from the s-10 and no more than that?

Anyone have any idea on what the cost of the main leafs from pick-n-pull?

Let me be out spoken: You dont do rock........If U do, submit photo's of some stone.........and no dilly dally cement amuisment park crap.

This stuff is sold as trail/stone/rock duty...............lets see some pics of what you've put it thru......the springs I paid RE for came visually mismatched from the get go, from there......they just failed.......along with their front coils over the same years time...........although I'm not against putting a front tire against a tree and going virtical............maybe I expected toooo much........

Take it easy. There is rock crawling around here where he is, some of it has been in the mags. Just not as famous as Moab.

4.3LXJ
12-03-2009, 08:47 PM

To get 3 1/2" you will need to use the bottom three leaves from that pack. It will flex and ride very well.