PDA

View Full Version : Instrument cluster not working.

nickyg
10-14-2016, 01:21 PM
My daughters friend has a 97 Xj
When the jeep is running none of the gauges work.

When I put the cluster in test mode.( hold trip meter and put car in run)
Everything works fine. But as soon As it starts the fuel gauge and speedo die. And I assume the idiot lists do too.

The turn signal indicator and the highbeam indicator work fine.

And ideas on where to start looking?http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161014/ef90d865c0c1bdd1cf3472d91d79b269.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161014/be9edfbcdd42a86e82a031271f7ddea2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
10-14-2016, 02:33 PM
Probably a bad connection at the plug Nicky. Try smacking the dash. Usually works

nickyg
10-17-2016, 07:27 PM
Couldn't figure it out. No matter how hard I beat on the dash the gauges just wouldn't behave. So I replaced them with one from the junkyard (full set of gauges). Now everything is peachy in Nickland

cpttuna
10-24-2016, 10:18 PM
3 of our 5 jeeps have had the dash problem. I just smack the hell out of the dash. (the wife even knows to beat on the dash when it happens)

Joliet Johnny
10-25-2016, 03:24 AM
I had this problem in an 85 Fiero after I swapped the dash. After pulling the dash to check all my connections and failing I found some of the pins that went into the cluster were more smushed in than others. I cleaned all the connections with baking soda and a toothbrush and used a small flathead screwdriver to push them back out and my dead gauges worked again. Although on my 79 Grand Prix when I turned on the headlights everything went flat and I never figured that out.

bluedragon436
10-25-2016, 04:03 AM
Couldn't figure it out. No matter how hard I beat on the dash the gauges just wouldn't behave. So I replaced them with one from the junkyard (full set of gauges). Now everything is peachy in Nickland

Glad to hear that you got it figured out.. Was going to recommend cleaning off the contacts both of the Jeep and the cluster and put some dielectric grease in there.. But the other thing I was thinking was replacing the crap idiot lights with a full cluster.. but looks like you did that already, and it seemed to have worked.. lol