PDA

View Full Version : Pull engine and trans - what to disconnect

borjawil
09-29-2016, 08:32 PM
96 XJ - pulling the engine and trans to be transplanted into a 00 I got with no drivetrain.

I believe I have everything disconnected from the engine bay area - power steering lines, rad removed, airbox, battery, and the electrical plugs I could see to the engine.

Ive removed the engine mount bolts (2) and the trans to crossmember and crossmember to body bolts (8). What else do I need to disconnect from the trans? Im keeping the engine and trans together so I'm assuming I can keep the coolant lines attached at the trans. What about the shifter linkage on the driver side, how do I pop that off without damaging it? Where are any electrical plugs on the trans that need to be disconnected?

4.3LXJ
09-29-2016, 08:54 PM
It has been a long time since I pulled an AW4 so I can't remember the linkage, but there is a harness that has to be unplugged, as well as pull the transfer case and if it is 2wd, the speedometer sensor and the breather tube from the tcase needs to be separated from the trans breather if it has one

borjawil
10-05-2016, 06:00 AM
I did not have to separate the transfer case from the trans. I did have to drop the front drive shaft, disconnect the hoses from the radiator/AC/power steering/condenser, I also had to disconnect the battery harness and few other plugs connecting the engine harness to the harness in the engine bay. The throttle cables need to be disconnected and I also disconnected the exhaust where the exhaust manifold bolts to the read of the exhaust.