PDA

View Full Version : Wheel offset

scottdufour
09-24-2016, 02:57 PM
Looking to replace the rims on my XJ. I currently have stock 15inch rims with 235/75/15 tires. I am not experiencing any rubbing with larger 235 tires. The rims that I am looking at have an offset of -6 and I know the standard rims have an offset of +15. I am planning on putting on putting 235/75/15 tires on the rims. Does anyone know whether I will have an issue with the different offset. Will I experience any rubbing?

Infidel Edition
09-26-2016, 10:51 AM
I'm not familiar with -6 vs. +15
Is that cm's?

My brain is thinking stock is like 3.5" to 4.5" with 4" being the sweet spot for stock suspension.

Anyway, going to the positive side of the offset will pull the wheel closer in the fender. And for the most part, even if that doesn't cause rub issues, it's going to look a little skinny.
Why not keep them out further? Most rims come in various offsets. Or there are quality spacers that you can use to push them out further too.

Going the other way, if you push the rims too far out, there's additional stress on the axle and steering that may require aftermarket fixes so you don't rip the steering box out of the body where it's mounted.
But that's only going to be an issue over 33" range.

scottdufour
09-27-2016, 08:29 AM
I should have been clearer in my initial post. It is -6mm on the new rims and the standard rims are +15mm. This is the hub offset. I dont want to lift the cherokee and I am just concerned if the 235's will rub with the different offset.

Infidel Edition
09-27-2016, 08:49 AM
Sorry, sometimes I get a little wordy on my thought process.
Pushing the wheels further out from center has a similar axle and steering strain as does a lift with bigger tires. *not to the same effect, but some.

There is 1 model of stock XJ wheels that sits an inch further in than most of the other stock wheels.
The difference you're looking at is roughly an inch. So, unless your +15mm wheel is the one that sits a full inch closer (25mm) to center. You should be fine.

From everything I've ever come across, "4 inches is the sweet spot" for offset.

worknprogress
09-27-2016, 08:55 AM
I'm not familiar with -6 vs. +15
Is that cm's?

My brain is thinking stock is like 3.5" to 4.5" with 4" being the sweet spot for stock suspension.

Anyway, going to the positive side of the offset will pull the wheel closer in the fender. And for the most part, even if that doesn't cause rub issues, it's going to look a little skinny.
Why not keep them out further? Most rims come in various offsets. Or there are quality spacers that you can use to push them out further too.

Going the other way, if you push the rims too far out, there's additional stress on the axle and steering that may require aftermarket fixes so you don't rip the steering box out of the body where it's mounted.
But that's only going to be an issue over 33" range.

So I have 33x10.5 with a 4.5in lift and 1.5in spacers. Note I have 2rod ends a little bent from running over 2 deer in a week. The end that connects to steering. I just had a wheel come loose and demolish the stud holes from another issue. But I'm now shopping for a new set of wheels even with the spacer I had to trim a bit. Can I do away with spacers with an offset?

4.3LXJ
09-27-2016, 09:20 AM
If you are talking about rubbing the control arm at full lock on the steering, then the answer is no. It will rub then. Otherwise, no biggie

worknprogress
09-27-2016, 09:25 AM
If you are talking about rubbing the control arm at full lock on the steering, then the answer is no. It will rub then. Otherwise, no biggie
Sorry I wasn't clear in what I was asking. I'm fighting with keeping or losing the spacer. I like the look. Is there an offset that will keep the look and not cause issues with my steering. as it is there's no rubbing only did on the fender. I trimmed that. in a nut shell same 33s do you have suggestion on route I should take and the offset that would be.

4.3LXJ
09-27-2016, 10:25 AM
If you run stock wheels, 4.75" back spacing a 31" tire will rub when steering is locked. You will need at least a 4" back spacing and 3.5" back spacing would be ideal. That should give you about what you had with the wheel spacers. I have run them for years. But as with all lug nuts, they need to be torqued to about 75# so they stay tight

worknprogress
09-27-2016, 12:02 PM
If you run stock wheels, 4.75" back spacing a 31" tire will rub when steering is locked. You will need at least a 4" back spacing and 3.5" back spacing would be ideal. That should give you about what you had with the wheel spacers. I have run them for years. But as with all lug nuts, they need to be torqued to about 75# so they stay tight
Ok, I run 15s and yeah the spacers are mainly to go to 5x4.5 to 5x5. I'm new to this so that was a fix for stupidity along with many others. I definitely want the wider look and go back to 5x4.5 one last thing the center hole has an 1/8in gap between it and the hub ring so they are just being held in place by the lugs. Is this common or get the new ones to fit?

4.3LXJ
09-27-2016, 02:47 PM
The spacers go both ways, hub centric and lug centric. Both work fine. The wheels go both ways too. In the end it is the lugs that do the majority of the centering.