PDA

View Full Version : Front seat mods ( increased slide/tilt)

jay2x4
08-28-2016, 09:20 PM
Hey guys, long time lurker. Haven't came up with a question I couldn't find an answer to till now.

My issue is this. I have a 99 4dr sport that I am going to use as a hunting/"expedition" type rig. I intend to run it as a two seater with a big cargo area that I would like to have double as sleeping quarters. It would easily sleep two people as is, but I'm 6'8" so I can't fit in the cargo area without going diagonal.

Ideally I would like to slide the seat forward till either the cushion contacts the lower dash area or the seat back hits the steering wheel. I really only need 4-5 more inches to fit in the back, stretched out.

Is there a simple way to gain the forward seat travel without losing rearward travel? ( again, I'm super tall, so it still needs to slide back as far as possible) but if I could gain more forward AND rearward travel that would be amazing.

I'm open to a simple seat swap at the same time if that makes it easier.

Thanks a bunch fellas

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
08-29-2016, 09:09 AM
I can't think of anything simple. There is just so much slide there. I installed a set of WJ seats that can do what you want. They seem to have much more adjustment in them. But they don't bolt in. Fabrication is needed

Pinkyman
08-29-2016, 09:14 AM
I dont know if this is an option, so maybe someone else can chime in here. But do the seats on the 2 doors go forward any further? I know in the VW world, the 2 door seats went all the way up so that the rear passengers have easier access. It may be something to look in to.

4.3LXJ
08-29-2016, 09:15 AM
You would think so, but they use the same seat mount and track as the four door

XJ Wheeler
08-29-2016, 01:02 PM
It may be somewhat basic and a bit of a hassle but if fabricating a mount or finding a bolt in option isn't in the cards you could just unbolt one of them. Disclaimer, I haven't removed 97-01 seats but it's very simple on older ones. I would just keep a ratcheting wrench handy and unbolt the passenger seat, and cinch it down when ready to go. You might could even find a knob that would screw down and not even need the wrench. It's basic, but should work.

If not, I would build a sliding base with a latch.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

abebehrmann
08-29-2016, 03:21 PM
Hmmm, I wonder if there would be a way to weld together two seat tracks so that they go forward another 6'' like you want. I'm going to take a look at mine tonight and see if I can come up with anything.

I had the same thought of making the back of my 4 door into a sleeping area, but I'm 6'1'' and my girlfriend is 5'11'' but after both of us laying back there at the same time, she quickly came to the conclusion that I'm nuts and we both won't fit back there comfortably. If maybe I could come up with something then maybe I could still talk her into it.

jay2x4
08-29-2016, 10:13 PM
Thanks a bunch guys. I appreciate the brainstorming.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jonb8
08-30-2016, 06:03 AM
Something else to think about is opening the hatch, and building a flip out platform that lets your legs go outside a foot, The hatch covers at least 3 feet. Then throw a tarp over the hatch and bungy it to the jeep everywhere you can to keep it on the jeep. Easier to get in and out through the open hatch also.

Poorboy
09-04-2016, 01:39 AM
I dont know if this is an option, so maybe someone else can chime in here. But do the seats on the 2 doors go forward any further? I know in the VW world, the 2 door seats went all the way up so that the rear passengers have easier access. It may be something to look in to.

The two door seats may slide forward a little further, bonus is that the back rest will contact the dash, which might give you a tad more room. It's been ten years since I had my two door, so my memory is a little fuzzy....