PDA

View Full Version : Need To replace Evap Core looking for tips-n-tricks

Prerunner06
08-19-2016, 06:13 PM
I have not had working A/c in my XJ for almost 2 years now...I finally decided I am sick of sweating everyday (Livin in Az with no A/C:bang:) I went to have my system charged and leak checked.

I drop it off at a local A/c shop they go over the system put nitrogen in to find leaks Found leaks/sealed the system up charged it..put gauges on found out that the expansion valve was clogged call me up said its going to need that I said lets do it..they then call back the next day saying sorry but we cant replace it because the nuts are seized on to it and we will have to replace the evap core.

I told them it will have to wait because I didn't want to pay the 1k+ bill i was quoted. now i figured since the system is sitting empty I might as well tear into it. I know my way around vehicles just do not want to spend my whole weekend doing this job so looking for tips and tricks

4.3LXJ
08-19-2016, 07:03 PM
Unfortunately Steve, it is a real job to do this. This is one of those times I want the guy that designed it to do it so he can see what it is like. But you will have to pull the dash to do it. You will spend most of your time figuring out how it comes apart. Start with the bezel and gauge cluster, disconnect the steering column from the dash and let it lay there. Pulling the seats lets you get at it better, pull the console too

Pinkyman
08-19-2016, 07:08 PM
I did mine a few weeks ago, you can see my progress on pg 24 here:

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=20692&page=24

The job isn't horrible, just time consuming. I worked in mine throughout about a week. Taking the dash apart is the easy part, just keep track of where all your nuts and bolts go. You can get by with getting the dash loose, but you don't have to remove the seats and steering column. You do have to take out the center console though. Then you can use a ratchet strap from the dash to the Oh shit handle, and you can get enough room to get the heater box out.

The heater box is a pain. Not so much the box, but the 5nuts on the firewall that hold it in. They are mostly easily accessible, but there is one about 6" down from the cylinder head... I didn't put that one back in lol. What I found worked best, was remove the harness that sits on the stud, break the nut loose that is under that, slide a short 3/8 drive 7/16 socket over the stud, and stick a flathead screwdriver in the ratchet hole. You can get enough angle on it that way to spin it out. You can't fit a ratchet in, because it will hit the head and you don't have room (you'll see what I mean).

The rest is just disassemble the heater box, be careful with the vacuum line at the top of the box, and watch all the other ones that control your heater functions, as they pop off easily.

I replaced my blower motor while I was in there so I didn't have to take it apart again. If you get one off amazon, you may have to put a washer on the bolts to pull the blower out a couple of mms, otherwise the cage will rub on the box.

Then it's just reversal of the process to get it back together. The job sucks, and you'll probably swear alot at your Jeep, but in the end it's not horrible to do, just tedious.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Also, if you have a flashlight and a drill gun, I would get the batteries charged up, as they will be your best friend throughout the repair.

Prerunner06
08-19-2016, 07:13 PM
Yeah I figured it would be a pain. Looks like a weekend will need to be planed. Thanks for the info guys.