PDA

View Full Version : Rear end whine under acceleration

Remus Redbone
08-16-2016, 10:02 PM
Well, getting around to my first post after re-acquiring my '95 XJ. The vehicle has 160k miles on it so I'm afraid I know the answer to my question.

I'm getting a mid-pitch whine in the rear end while accelerating or pulling uphill (mid-pitch = not high pitched and not a low rumble). When I let off the accelerator, the whine goes away. My thoughts are that it's typical gear wear from the mileage, but I thought I'd ask the experienced for opinions.

It's not extreme, but it is very noticeable. There's not a lot of excessive slack in the rear end and no clunking or grinding, just the persistent whine....

Cheromaniac
08-17-2016, 05:21 AM
Yes, I think you have indeed answered your own question unless you have a wife or girlfriend hiding inside the rear differential. ;) From the link http://fuelandfriction.com/weekend-warrior/understanding-rear-differential-noise/

Howling under acceleration at various speeds, however, indicates that the gears are already worn out or are out of alignment or depth with each other. If rear differential noise occurs while accelerating the car only at a certain speed, it is likely because the gears have become worn due to overloading and lubrication failure.

4.3LXJ
08-17-2016, 09:06 AM
I agree, I think you answered your own question.

Remus Redbone
08-17-2016, 08:38 PM
Well, it's not just horrendous yet, so I'll keep it full of clean synthetic gear oil and see if it will go a few more miles. It is a Dana 35, so it wasn't expected to make 300k miles.....

denverd1
08-22-2016, 01:35 PM
chyr 8.25 for $100 should get you back in business with a stronger axle

Remus Redbone
08-22-2016, 07:14 PM
I'm looking. Mine's not all that bad, and over the weekend I noticed it whines most when in a very light pull. When I accelerate hard or accelerate firmly up hill, the whine is pretty much gone. It's that almost neutral, barely pulling, but definitely not coasting, zone where it really whines the loudest. I'm thinking I may have some slack in pinion bearings.

Hawkeye-Harris
08-24-2016, 08:15 PM
There's been a whine like that in the front diff of my '74 Jeep J20 for 625k mi. and the D44 hasn't failed yet, it's run synthetic lube since it first started whining.