PDA

View Full Version : Shock Mount Fix

brockarron00
08-02-2016, 03:34 PM
Okay so I had an idea with the welder at work, only the threaded part of the stud broke off. So the weight of the shock will sit on what is still there. Why not cut the threads off a good bolt and weld it to the stud?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160802/b8842fed2edf047072d3e909f32495d6.jpg

4.3LXJ
08-02-2016, 07:28 PM
Arron I think the easiest way to fix that is to get the front shock stud from a C or K series Chevy PU. 2 or 4WD, does not matter. Then hack that one off and drill a 1/2" hole and mount the new stud. Much easier I think and simpler not to mention very reliable

brockarron00
08-03-2016, 06:53 AM
Arron I think the easiest way to fix that is to get the front shock stud from a C or K series Chevy PU. 2 or 4WD, does not matter. Then hack that one off and drill a 1/2" hole and mount the new stud. Much easier I think and simpler not to mention very reliable

I hear your point, but you don't think my idea will work? The stress and load of the shock will still be on the original stud, I was just gonna weld threads on so I have something to keep it tight with. If not I have the shock mounts as discussed before

4.3LXJ
08-03-2016, 08:01 AM
It might work. But those threads need to go all the way down to the shoulder because that is the distance needed to make the bushing snug and make the shock work most effectively.

brockarron00
08-03-2016, 08:51 AM
It might work. But those threads need to go all the way down to the shoulder because that is the distance needed to make the bushing snug and make the shock work most effectively.

It broke down to the shoulder, like there are absolutely no threads left, I guess in the matter of a cheap fix I got extremely lucky. But worst case I weld the threads, wheel it, if it breaks I have a set of high clearance shock mounts

XJ Wheeler
08-03-2016, 03:33 PM
I think this is one of those cases where it needs to be done right. Either a new stud or the mounts you have is the way to go. When things go wrong they don't always follow the same path and can damage more. You could damage the shock or that threaded section could go through someone's windshield. It might could be done, and adequately, but the other ways arent much more work and you don't have to worry about anymore. Just my .02.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

EvilBunny
08-04-2016, 09:00 PM
Thing is welding will destroy the heat treating of both new parts. It could work I suppose but it wont be as strong as it was due to losing heat treatment.

NW99XJ
08-04-2016, 09:23 PM
Cut off the remainder, drill a hole, stick a longer bolt thru, and be done... you want to go the extra mile then weld the head to the back side of the mount. (that would be the RIGHT way to go about this repair.)
You're idea wont work as well as you're thinking for a couple of main reasons.
First is the threads. If you're broken off right at the shoulder, then you'll have little to no compression on the mounting eye when it comes to secure it to the mount.
Also there's this little thing called shear force. Sure the majority of the shock will be sitting on whats left of your stud, but there will be a lot of physics at work trying to force that shock off the mount. That shock, and your safety, is relying on how good that weld is. And speaking of that.... ANY amount of difference between surfaces or burrs/slag left over from that seam, WILL have an effect on the longevity of that eye bushing. Just think "cheese grater."
CAN you get away with a repair of this nature? .... probably.
SHOULD you TRY and get away with this? ..... I would not recommend it.
Just for the sake of your parts and safety more than anything.