PDA

View Full Version : A/C part sources

packmule1911
07-22-2016, 11:38 AM
Diagnosed to need an orifice tube to fix the A/C. That didn't fix it. Now am told I need an compressor, clutch fan relay, and a dryer. I don't like the mis-diagnosis, nor the quote for the rest of the work and will source the parts myself.

Where do you folks like to shop for quality cost effective A/C parts, new or remanufactured.

Thanks.

Pinkyman
07-22-2016, 01:03 PM
What kind of issues is your AC having? Maybe we can help you diagnose it?

packmule1911
07-23-2016, 03:54 PM
It's tough one.

Fully charged. No leaks. New hi/low hose assembly. New orifice tube assembly. The clutch had been engaging for defog, even though it would never blow cold. I replaced the relay last year when the orifice was identified as the cause. It's been in this state for a year.

So, the tube was supposed to fix the problem. When that work finished ($150), I was told "compressor clutch locking up and condensor fan not turning on. Needs compressor, relay, and drier."

The compressor evidently fried the relay, which was fine before they worked in it yesterday.

Quoted another $820 to address the new diagnosis.

4.3LXJ
07-24-2016, 03:44 PM
If it was me, I would look first at the front of the compressor when the clutch engages. When it is disengaged, the front center of the pulley will not move. When engaged, it will spin. If it spins, then the next thing to do is to check pressures. This takes a set of gauges, which you can pick up at harbor freight for a very reasonable price. You should see fairly high pressure on the red gauge and low on the blue gauge. Also when running, the fitting on the low side, large hose, should be getting a fair amount of condensation on it

packmule1911
07-24-2016, 06:44 PM
Before the relay fried when I took it to them Friday, the clutch engaged. Now it doesn't so I can't check if it moves correctly.

I did pull a fog light relay to see if that helped the clutch, but no change.

If I recall correctly, when they diagnosed the orifice tube, they said the low side pressure was higher than it should be, which equals clogged orifice tube.

4.3LXJ
07-24-2016, 07:03 PM
Yes, that or over charged. One thing to check now is the low pressure safety switch. It is on the accumulator. Unplug it and stick a paper clip in it so it is bypassed. If the clutch engages now, then the system is low. (sometimes I don't trust others work)

packmule1911
07-25-2016, 02:11 PM
Had it checked. Charged. Clutch not coming on, and a new relay was used to check it. Found a compressor and drier, known to be working as they should, for $75 from a recently wrecked 2000. Worth a shot?

At least my new wheels look great as I'm sweating my ass off in my charcoal leather Limited.

4.3LXJ
07-25-2016, 04:18 PM
Any oil around the front of the compressor?

packmule1911
07-26-2016, 07:14 AM
Any oil around the front of the compressor?
Nope.
Put a new relay in last night, and the compressor won't kick on. It is charged.

Pinkyman
07-26-2016, 08:11 AM
Nope.
Put a new relay in last night, and the compressor won't kick on. It is charged.

I may have missed it, but have you ran direct power to the coil to see if it engages?

packmule1911
07-26-2016, 08:36 AM
I may have missed it, but have you ran direct power to the coil to see if it engages?
Nope. I don't know how to do that.

XJ Wheeler
07-28-2016, 03:04 AM
Found a compressor and drier, known to be working as they should, for $75 from a recently wrecked 2000. Worth a shot?

If you have the cash I'd get the compressor either way. Since you know it worked good before. Don't bother with the dryer. You'd need to replace that with new anyway and you could probably get the price down a little.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

packmule1911
07-28-2016, 06:54 AM
Don't bother with the dryer. You'd need to replace that with new anyway
Replace the current drier with new, and use the used compressor?

XJ Wheeler
07-28-2016, 05:05 PM
Replace the current drier with new, and use the used compressor?
Any time you open the system the desiccant in the dryer is spoiled by the moisture in the air so you need to replace it each time.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

packmule1911
08-05-2016, 10:54 AM
New compressor, properly oiled. New drier, properly oiled.

40 on the low side, 250 on the high. No leaks. Evaporator flushed, and vacuumed properly.

Sort of cool in recycle mode. Not very cool in other settings. Engine temp at about 215.

How can I get it cooler? It's never worked, so I don't know what to expect. It certainly is not the ice box my wife's '02 Grand Caravan is.

4.3LXJ
08-05-2016, 11:45 AM
Is your blend door operating properly?

packmule1911
08-05-2016, 03:08 PM
Is your blend door operating properly?
Don't know. Will try to look this weekend.

I went back to the shop because what little cool there was went away, and other problems. We flushed the condensor to get rid of excess oil. I did not factor in the oil left in the condensor when I calculated what to put in the new compressor and new drier based on the total capacity.

The system is working correctly, no leaks, good pressures. However, we're only at 60 degrees at the dash. So, I guess the blend door is the then thing. Temps of the hoses and fittings are good all around and all the way back to the stuff behind the dash.

packmule1911
08-06-2016, 04:58 PM
This is under my dash. Corroded and probably not working right. It does rotate from input from the temp dial, and temp changes are felt. Heat has never been a problem, only cooling. Blend door not closing enough for good cooling?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160806/8a6e5cbafcd7d5690d330430fee32ead.jpg

4.3LXJ
08-06-2016, 06:54 PM
That is a good possibility

packmule1911
08-06-2016, 07:38 PM
From what I've read so far, a blend door problem is not an easy one to fix. There are a number of replacement blend doors for ZJ's, but not XJ's. I'm not taking the dash out.

Is there a blend door repair sticky XJTalk recommends?

4.3LXJ
08-06-2016, 07:51 PM
I cannot think of one

packmule1911
08-07-2016, 02:17 PM
The actuator is cheap and readily available, so I ordered one for good measure.

The doors seem to be ZJ dual zone doors.

Would the thermostat temperature matter here? I think there's 160 degree in there now.

4.3LXJ
08-07-2016, 02:33 PM
No, that tstat will not affect it. If you have dual doors, are both working?

packmule1911
08-07-2016, 05:44 PM
The parts I'm seeing are for the dual climate Grand Cherokee's, and it has dual doors. You can service those easily through the glove box.

The XJ apparently has one door, and you have to cut a hole in the heater box to get at it. The standard failure is due to the shaft which is plastic, breaks, and doesn't close all the way.

packmule1911
08-14-2016, 01:16 PM
It's been too hot to swap out the blend door actuator. Will work on it as soon as it's bearable.

I do get some reasonable a/c when the outside temp is a good bit below 80. I noticed the other day that some condensation was developing right in the middle of the windshield; where the defog bent points, but I had the controls set to the recycled air a/c setting.