PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Triplethreat!!!

bluedragon436
07-02-2016, 12:54 PM
Hi Triplethreat, :welcome: to the :xjtalk: forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Be sure and check out our XJ TALK SHOW! (http://podcasts.xjtalk.com) It\'s about Cherokees! It\'s like a radio talk show, but from the Internet.

Check out our sister sites, http://www.WranglerTalk.com/ and http://www.di-dah-dit.com/

Triplethreat
07-02-2016, 01:06 PM
Hello lady's and gents. Well I live in Florida and I love to go fishing and 4 wheeling when I can. I am married and have 22 month old triplets. I have a 95 f150 I'm selling to get hands on a xj jeep. I've been looking on Craigslist and have found a couple jeeps but not sure what I should look for when buying one and what to stay away from. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Here is that add of he jeep and I'll try to post more pictures the guy sent me. Let me know if the mileage of the jeep would be an issue. My father has a 99 tj and I love driving that thing when I can so I know a little about the jeep line. Thank you for adding me to the forum and I look forward from hearing back from you all. http://treasure.craigslist.org/cto/5661999661.html

Triplethreat
07-02-2016, 01:11 PM
More pics

4.3LXJ
07-02-2016, 01:21 PM
That looks clean. As far as XJs go, 99 was the best year followed by 98. The 00 and 01 had a weak casting on the head and will crack if you overheat them. Not the end of the world, but something to watch out for. The thing to do is look underneath for rust in the floorboard area, but probably not a problem in your area.

Triplethreat
07-02-2016, 01:45 PM
Thank you for the feedback. Should I be concerned with the mileage?

MattybPDX
07-02-2016, 02:19 PM
Not to alarm you but it seems a bear snuck in yer rig.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
07-02-2016, 03:19 PM
They will go to 300K if taken care of

Triplethreat
07-02-2016, 03:36 PM
Ok thank you. Just from talking to the guy he dropped the price to $1900 for it and I haven't even said anything about numbers. I just don't want to get something then have to dump a bunch of money in it. Most I have seen near me have a lot of body damage or rusted out from mudding it. I'm going to look at it tomorrow so I'll know when I see it in person. Let me know if there is anything else I should look for.

XJ Wheeler
07-02-2016, 05:27 PM
I have to say, that is a good buy for $1900 if all is as advertised. The main thing really is how the previous owner(s) took care of it. Check the oil and trams fluid out, smell them. Listen for excess valve train noise. Test everything! Even if it's not a big deal (like the rear wiper) it can be a help with the price. Test 4wd. Make sure everything looks right underneath, especially since it's modified! I know it's not polite but dog it. Rev it, brake hard, slalom (all in a safe environment) to kinda overkill the testing. A problem is more likely to show itself. A botched oil pan gasket job, an iffy radiator, poor brakes, etc will usually show themselves when ran harder. Don't forget to get it on the highway. These things can commonly suffer from "death wobble", especially if lifted. It can be tricky to track down the cause but usually not too expensive to fix. A new trackbar, alignment, balance tires, etc.

99 is the best year and makes it that much better of a deal. I personally prefer 91-99 models. Those had most the bad kinks worked out and it's before they started screwing with the head for emission reasons and made it weak.

Good luck and hope to see pics of it in your driveway soon! ;)

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

Triplethreat
07-02-2016, 07:25 PM
Ok thank you for the feedback. I'll make sure it gets put through it paces. A 70yr old man owns it and he can't drive anymore so that's the reason it's being sold. Sounds kinda to good to be true but I'll know more tomorrow when I take a look at it. Thank you again.

Triplethreat
07-03-2016, 09:02 PM
Looked at the jeep today and the passenger floor board was rusted right above the exhaust. It has some other issues but the rust was the worst. Had to pass so looking for another.

XJ Wheeler
07-03-2016, 11:43 PM
Sorry to hear that. I'm actively fixing my rust (and yes, above the muffler was bad too). It sucks so you probably dodged a bullet. Shame though, hopefully someone will get it and show it the love it needs before it's too late

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.