PDA

View Full Version : 1997 xj 4.0 4x4 electrical gremlin

hartsfield212
06-17-2016, 05:56 PM
I have a 1997 jeep cherokee XJ
200k Miles
4.5 inch rough country lift.
shortly after the lift install we drove it around the lot and parked it. ordered new parts came out. the jeep wouldn't start.

Ive thrown a few things at it, yall maybe can help me see where i stand with this......

I have Fuel at the Rail,
I have NO spark at coil or plugs, or distributor

I have the code p1389 which is the ASD relay, I have replaced as well.

Just keeps cranking but wont start.

I have replaced the following.

CPS{crank position sensor) and cam position sensor. both factory
COIL
PLUGS
Fuel pump
All fuses, ALL relays. NEW

Im thinking it may possibly be a Bad ECU but you tell me what you think...

Please and thank you

4x4 guy just wanting to jeep again.

4.3LXJ
06-17-2016, 06:09 PM
The first thing I think I would do is look at the ASD relay again. Swap another from your power distribution center like the fan relay or AC relay. If it keeps throwing that code, I would look at the prongs and verify that the #30 is receiving power, check the fuse etc. and that with the key on the #87 or 89 is receiving power and the other has continuity to ground. All cheap stuff to do

hartsfield212
06-17-2016, 06:21 PM
Im in Texas ima let the sun go down a little bit and ima go try that. Thank you

Carves
06-17-2016, 10:27 PM
X 2 with 4.3LXJ.

PCM is last thing I would consider.

If parts are all good ... then its likely, wiring and connectors.

Disconnect the battery, unplug some connectors, and chase all the wires with a multimeter, to make sure they are connecting to where they should be.

Might even be worthwhile gently prying the fuse box apart and checking the condition of the socket that the ASD relay sits in.

This is the code description from the 99 FSM ... since my 97 FSM doesnt have it.

P1389
No ASD Relay Output Voltage At PCM
No Z1 or Z2 voltage sensed when the auto shutdown relay is energized.

97 wiring diagram in case its useful ....

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/carves-oz/Vehicle%20Bits/Electrical/ASD%20Circuit%2097_zpsyb14j2jw.jpg

bluedragon436
06-18-2016, 12:11 AM
X 2 with 4.3LXJ.

PCM is last thing I would consider.

If parts are all good ... then its likely, wiring and connectors.

Disconnect the battery, unplug some connectors, and chase all the wires with a multimeter, to make sure they are connecting to where they should be.

Might even be worthwhile gently prying the fuse box apart and checking the condition of the socket that the ASD relay sits in.

This is the code description from the 99 FSM ... since my 97 FSM doesnt have it.

P1389
No ASD Relay Output Voltage At PCM
No Z1 or Z2 voltage sensed when the auto shutdown relay is energized.

97 wiring diagram in case its useful ....

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/carves-oz/Vehicle%20Bits/Electrical/ASD%20Circuit%2097_zpsyb14j2jw.jpg

Think need to share what program/FSM this diagram is from... That would be nice/helpful for many things!!! I'm guessing it's a paid shop/service program though...

Carves
06-18-2016, 12:21 AM
Think need to share what program/FSM this diagram is from... That would be nice/helpful for many things!!! I'm guessing it's a paid shop/service program though...

Hey blue ... yeah its the factory service manual.

... available from a few sources for free or moderate pricing.

CD PDF version is the way to go ... print off the pages that you need for a job.

I had genuine factory manuals for the TJ ... but they got destroyed with greasy mitts and spilt fluids.

I'm guessing these would be OK.

http://www.pacificcoastmanuals.com/jeep_cherokee_service_manuals.html

bluedragon436
06-18-2016, 12:33 AM
Hey blue ... yeah its the factory service manual.

... available from a few sources for free or moderate pricing.

CD PDF version is the way to go ... print off the pages that you need for a job.

I had genuine factory manuals for the TJ ... but they got destroyed with greasy mitts and spilt fluids.

I'm guessing these would be OK.

http://www.pacificcoastmanuals.com/jeep_cherokee_service_manuals.html

Nice... might have to do some conversion, and use this on my tablet... just need to get a good heavy duty case for it.. lol But yeah, other then that would be nice to be able to just print out the pages or diagrams needed for whatever job

hartsfield212
06-18-2016, 05:33 PM
the ASD slot is really loose, And I got the fuse box opened up, and it seems to be missing 2 of the metal contacts. where you plug it in, Do you think I need to get a new fuse box, or fixing it a question?

oderdene
06-18-2016, 05:54 PM
Glad to find that. Just fix it, faster and economy

4.3LXJ
06-18-2016, 06:28 PM
It is fixable if you have a tool for replacing the connectors in plugs. They are available at NAPA

hartsfield212
06-18-2016, 06:53 PM
Okay so mine are not broken i believe, the connector is in 1 piece but seems to keep slipping out of its hole the black and white wire, and the red wire. both keep pushing out when i put them back in, Can i just use glue or what do you think i should do to get them to stay put?

oderdene
06-18-2016, 07:05 PM
Open under cover of PDU. Push connectors by finger while inserting relay from top. If connector is really loose, use pliers

Carves
06-18-2016, 08:09 PM
If the socket terminals are dropping down when you insert the relay,

... then the plastic tabs that hold the terminal in position ... have probably snapped off.

Its a fairly common issue with veh age and the XJ's under bonnet temps.

Cheapest and easiest fix is use long nose pliers to hold the terminals whilst you refit the ASD Relay ... as Od suggested.

Theres probably no reason not to epoxy the things back in place.

Both methods are simpler than this caper,
... which involves hoping you dont break, more of the cheesy little plastic bits, off the replacement box.

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/carves-oz/Vehicle%20Bits/Electrical/PDCPlay20b.jpg

Ohhhh Look .... is that one of Mr Mudderoys, free XJTalk coffee cups :confused: :eek:

sighhhh ....... no it isnt :mad: ................................ :D:D

hartsfield212
06-18-2016, 08:09 PM
Thank you gentlemen we are making huge progress, the p1389 code is gone now and we have spark! we shot her with starting fluid and roared, but very oddly ive lost fuel at the rail.

If anyone Has the 1997 cherokee sport 4.0 4x4 FUSE diagram inside and under hood, I need halp please!

Carves
06-18-2016, 08:59 PM
Thank you gentlemen we are making huge progress, the p1389 code is gone now and we have spark! we shot her with starting fluid and roared, but very oddly ive lost fuel at the rail.

If anyone Has the 1997 cherokee sport 4.0 4x4 FUSE diagram inside and under hood, I need halp please!

Can you hear the fuel pump working with the ignition on ??

4.3LXJ
06-18-2016, 08:59 PM
This is probably another relay issue. There is a relay for the fuel pump too. You might have jarred a connector loose here too. The fuses if burned out should show by looking at the tops

hartsfield212
06-18-2016, 09:22 PM
I cannot i dont feel like its powering up what so ever.
Tested the fuses and relays again.

with starting fluid we have started. So we have spark after fixing the wires in the fuse box,

I had fuel at the rail 2-3 days ago.

1 hella confused guy over here

But were movin forward thanks again for all the help

oderdene
06-19-2016, 09:46 AM

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab180/od_999/97XJ/Pages%20from%2097XJ-4_Page_1_zpsdu0rqpu8.jpg

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab180/od_999/97XJ/Pages%20from%2097XJ-4_Page_2_zpsnj8yfcap.jpg

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab180/od_999/97XJ/Pages%20from%2097XJ-4_Page_3_zpsxis45pun.jpg

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab180/od_999/97XJ/Pages%20from%2097XJ-4_Page_4_zpsicqvfboe.jpg

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab180/od_999/97XJ/Pages%20from%2097XJ%20JB_Page_1_zpszdpvdvbg.jpg

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab180/od_999/97XJ/Pages%20from%2097XJ%20JB_Page_2_zpstcculgaw.jpg

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab180/od_999/97XJ/Pages%20from%2097XJ%20JB_Page_3_zps23sykfxu.jpg

hartsfield212
06-19-2016, 11:33 AM
Diagrams Were very much help!
We have the fuel gauge working now,

But still 0 fuel to the rail

Im going to check the fuse box connections one more time so they didnt come loose

But we are shooting no codes,

and its a brand new fuel pump

THE FIGHT CONTINUES GENTLEMEN!

hartsfield212
06-19-2016, 07:37 PM
Okay found out i do have power the large green wire was power.

So if i have power to the fuel pump but no fuel to the rail?

Fuses are good, relay is good

Popped open fuse box, all wires connected well now.

and no Codes.

even have spark and will start with starting fluid but. just need fuel to the rail!!!!!!!!!!!

We are making very much progress!

4.3LXJ
06-19-2016, 08:32 PM
Make sure the fuel pump has a good ground. IIRX you have a plastic fuel tank and you will need a ground wire for the pump and gas gauge

hartsfield212
06-20-2016, 06:28 PM
Alright gentlemen! WE ARE RUNNING! WE ARE ALIVE

I couldn't have done it with out all of yalls help!

One hell of a community we have here!

Anyone out in or near TEXAS? who jeeps

4.3LXJ
06-20-2016, 07:05 PM
Lots of Texas folks on here, alas I am not one of them

hartsfield212
06-20-2016, 07:07 PM
I see, thats really cool though. Its been a few years since ive had a 4x4. I need to find a group again to go wheeling with!

Carves
06-20-2016, 08:04 PM

:thumbsup:

Good to hear.
Was there anything else besides the disintergrating fusebox, that was an issue ?

hartsfield212
06-20-2016, 08:15 PM
the fuse box, and pretty much most of the electrical seemed to be atleast 7-10 years old, from the last set of tags on the jeep saying 11 of 2010 so i guess i got it started for the first time in 6 years. but the harmonic balancer was pushed way off, fixed that. it was alot of odds and end things. but mainly the fuse box is what went to crap im guessing.

I WOULD HAVE NEVER FIXED THIS THING WITH OUT YALLS HELP!
i would have never thought to pry open the fuse box. never looked beneath it before haha
I was replacing parts, that probly didnt need to be changed. but in the end atleast it all NEW! hahaha

Now I got a plat form. more mods! and adventures to come!

XJ Wheeler
06-24-2016, 02:12 AM

I couldn't have done it with out all of yalls help!

One hell of a community we have here!

Anyone out in or near TEXAS? who jeeps
Texas here! I heard the yalls and knew it was one of my fellow texonians. (Proper way to say it Carves... in my head). North side of houston in the conroe area to be more precise. I see you from the west side of houston. Tony (guy who made this site from thin air) lives in katy. Actually there's several of us around houston. Some aren't on here too often though but will check in from time to time.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

hartsfield212
06-24-2016, 03:15 PM
And ya man im not to far off im in cypress, hwy 6, 529 area

Damn thats bad ass! can't believe the community seem strong,

I still gotta get my front axle figured out, But i hope to be 4x4 ready before august

If there are any Meet ups or you got a group of guys to go ride with let me know man!

I got a buddy with a TJ but hes babbies it and won't go off road. #CONFUSED

so im tryin to find a group to out jeepin again with!

XJ Wheeler
06-24-2016, 05:35 PM
And ya man im not to far off im in cypress, hwy 6, 529 area

Damn thats bad ass! can't believe the community seem strong,

I still gotta get my front axle figured out, But i hope to be 4x4 ready before august

If there are any Meet ups or you got a group of guys to go ride with let me know man!

I got a buddy with a TJ but hes babbies it and won't go off road. #CONFUSED

so im tryin to find a group to out jeepin again with!
Sadly most of the groups here don't go wheeling much. I don't get to go much myself and my xj is undergoing some metal work for the next several weeks. Hope to find some rocks to test my work after though. :D

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.