PDA

View Full Version : Nitto Tire Warranty Void if Used Off Road

abebehrmann
06-10-2016, 04:16 PM
This is a friend of a friend. She bought some Nitto MT's for her truck and 1000 miles later they've chunked in two places. She brought them back to the tire shop and they said that won't warranty them because it looks like they've been off road or over loaded. I'm not sure if she abused them or not, but it seems a bit crazy that the Nitto manufacturer's warranty on a Mud Tire is void if they go off road...

4.3LXJ
06-10-2016, 05:29 PM
I think I would get a second opinion

abebehrmann
06-10-2016, 05:35 PM
I think I would get a second opinion

Yep, I told her to go to a different Nitto Tire Dealer for a second opinion. The funny thing is she lives in NYC and has never even been off road.

Don't know why she bought an MT though, but I guess who am I to judge?

I just think it's funny that a specially designed for off road tire voids it's warranty if it's used for its intended purpose.

XJ Wheeler
06-10-2016, 06:02 PM
That's bull! They can't just say it looks like it was offroaded, when the customer says they didn't. If all else fails, threaten to go to the media. For some reason, that gets attention.

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

bluedragon436
06-14-2016, 02:20 AM
I'd say one go to another dealer... and two contact Nitto directly... Not to say there isn't places she could have driven from NYC to go offroading... But if she says she didn't go take them offload, and there is no huge sidewall damage from rocks, or anything like that... how are they to say it looks like she took them offroad... I would have been like the closest they've been to offroad is parking lots.. I almost wonder if that dealer just didn't want to deal with having to do whatever paperwork or process Nitto requires for warranty swap out...

MattybPDX
06-15-2016, 01:50 AM
almost wonder if that dealer just didn't want to deal with having to do whatever paperwork or process Nitto requires for warranty swap out...
That's a bingo.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

abebehrmann
06-15-2016, 08:57 AM
I'd say one go to another dealer... and two contact Nitto directly... Not to say there isn't places she could have driven from NYC to go offroading... But if she says she didn't go take them offload, and there is no huge sidewall damage from rocks, or anything like that... how are they to say it looks like she took them offroad... I would have been like the closest they've been to offroad is parking lots.. I almost wonder if that dealer just didn't want to deal with having to do whatever paperwork or process Nitto requires for warranty swap out...

After contacting Nitto directly a few times and going to another Nitto dealer, they have finally agreed to replace that tire. I think you were right that the first just didn't want to deal with replacing a tire they wouldn't be paid for, so they just assumed she had been off road with it and made that the excuse.

Still has swayed me to never purchase a Nitto tire, considering they won't warranty a tire that has been off road even if it is obviously a manufacturing defect.

Carves
06-15-2016, 08:32 PM
Mud tyres on a town car ??

Thats probably part of the problem ... soft compound and big knobs arent exactly the best recipe for bitumen / concrete and other mall car park dangers .. ;);)

The Nitto supplier should have suggested a more suitable tyre imho.

By not doing so ... they should have just replaced the damaged one.

All the tyre companies have got dodgy warranties. I remember some issues down here a while back with Coopers.

It seems that their 4x4/SUV tyres ... need to be kept in close proximity to a capital city post office/paved road, and inspected regularly by a Coopers agent ... to ensure full warranty coverage. :rolleyes: