PDA

View Full Version : XJ Rear End Roar

scarecrow
05-25-2016, 07:33 AM
Loud roar in rear end, suspected rear wheel bearings. Changed pitted & worn rear wheel bearings, checked gear/ pinion looks ok to my mechanic. My mechanic is a trusted friend who has performed a lot of work on different vehicles for me. My roar is still there, after about 20mph and we are at a loss so far. Any suggestions XJ Gurus? Can U-joints do that? As he gets time I think we will put it back on the rack and run it off the ground to see if we can detect anything. Thanks Brad

Pinkyman
05-25-2016, 08:01 AM
Is it stock? Lifted? How many miles?

I ran into the same issue on mine after my lift. It would growl really bad, but only when i let off the gas. Mine was the pinion i believe. I did the t-case drop and it went away.

scarecrow
05-25-2016, 08:08 AM
1st thanks for the help. I'm new here so did I post this in the wrong place? If so where should I post repair questions in the future? 198,000 miles, not lifted, with stock tire size 15"

4.3LXJ
05-25-2016, 10:00 AM
Brad, which rear end do you have. D35 or Chrysler 8.25?

scarecrow
05-25-2016, 01:20 PM
Steve, Man I do not know! How do I find out? I just bought this thing 3 weeks ago $500.00. Figured even with the bad bearings and at some point tackling the heater core replacement I'm still money ahead. I just knew bearings were going to be the problem. Thanks

abebehrmann
05-25-2016, 02:11 PM
Steve, Man I do not know! How do I find out? I just bought this thing 3 weeks ago $500.00. Figured even with the bad bearings and at some point tackling the heater core replacement I'm still money ahead. I just knew bearings were going to be the problem. Thanks

Post a pic of your rear axle and we'll be able to tell you what you have. The Chrysler 8.25 has a flatter bottom of the pumpkin and the Dana 35 is more rounded.

Welcome to the site! Sounds like you got a good deal with your XJ, even with the problem with the rear end. Worst case scenario, you should be able to pick up a complete rear end from a junkyard or Craigslist for ~$150.

Here is a representative pic of each, 8.25 on the left and dana 35 on the right. The way I tell them apart is how the bottom of the axle housing is flat on the 8.25 while the Dana 35 housing sorta follows the curve of the cover.

scarecrow
05-26-2016, 08:08 AM
Dang you guys are freaking awesome. I don't have a clue how to post these pics and BAM Abe adds just what I need. My diff. looks exactly like the one on the right, so it is a Dana 35. Thanks I don't guess this noise could be coming from the transfer case could it? I really appreciate all the info. Everything else on this XJ jewel seems to be good.

4.3LXJ
05-26-2016, 09:15 AM
I don't suppose you know, but did the guy replace the wheel bearing with the new type of bearing available with an inner race?

scarecrow
05-26-2016, 09:45 AM
Steve, I don't know. What does that mean? I just thought he did replacement "in kind" bearings and seals. Tell me more of this new type bearing with inner seal.
Thanks

4.3LXJ
05-26-2016, 10:20 AM
There are apparently two types of bearings available. One uses the axle for an inner race and the other has its own inner race. If the first type has a pitted surface, replacing the bearing will not quiet it

scarecrow
05-26-2016, 11:06 AM
Ok thanks, I'll check with him

scarecrow
01-08-2017, 09:29 PM
Hey guys it has been awhile. Thanks for your input. Noise has been repaired. Carrier bearings and one shaft and the mud donkey is back rolling....quietly!

4.3LXJ
01-08-2017, 09:30 PM
Glad you got it sorted out