PDA

View Full Version : Questins on lift kits...6.5

KennyB
11-24-2009, 09:17 AM
I want to do a 6.5 long arm on my 99 xj. I am looking at using the RUSYT's OFF Road 6.5 loag arm kit...Total bolt on and comes with pretty much everything. I will eventually do new ring gears and pinions, drive shafts, SYE eliminator, 15X8's with BFG Mud t/a's. Any of ya;ll that have used other long arms or Rusyt's....can ya give me some advice? This truck will also be used to daily drive at times....

Mudderoy
11-24-2009, 09:25 AM
I want to do a 6.5 long arm on my 99 xj. I am looking at using the RUSYT's OFF Road 6.5 loag arm kit...Total bolt on and comes with pretty much everything. I will eventually do new ring gears and pinions, drive shafts, SYE eliminator, 15X8's with BFG Mud t/a's. Any of ya;ll that have used other long arms or Rusyt's....can ya give me some advice? This truck will also be used to daily drive at times....

I'm going to do the Rough Country long arm kit. I have all Rough Country though. I love it. I made the decision a while back that I wasn't going to buy anything "Rusty's". Just from what I've read, no personal experience.

Several people here have had good luck with his stuff.

We have a vendor here that sells the Rough Country stuff, and gives a discount. Ron at 4wheelingplus.com.

96xj
11-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Ron at 4wheelingplus.com is da man :thumbsup: and he gives a real good discount to xjtalk members :drool:

xj4life2
11-24-2009, 10:20 AM
Baseing it on price I would say Rough Country, Although it is a fairly untested set up. But well worth the try. Rubicon Express is a well proven set up but alot more money.I have not heard alot of good things about Rusty's but alot of people run them and are happy with them. You really need to do some reasearch on each kit weigh the options and what you expect from it and go from there.Personally... I'm still in the RE/RC delema myself but I am leaning twords the RC based on price,although my entire suspension is RE. Well there you have my $0.02

Mudderoy
11-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Ron at 4wheelingplus.com is da man :thumbsup: and he gives a real good discount to xjtalk members :drool:

Yeah and he's an active member here, and building up his own XJ.

Mudderoy
11-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Baseing it on price I would say Rough Country, Although it is a fairly untested set up. But well worth the try. Rubicon Express is a well proven set up but alot more money.I have not heard alot of good things about Rusty's but alot of people run them and are happy with them. You really need to do some reasearch on each kit weigh the options and what you expect from it and go from there.Personally... I'm still in the RE/RC delema myself but I am leaning twords the RC based on price,although my entire suspension is RE. Well there you have my $0.02

I have heard nothing but good about Rubicon Express (RE), but the words that follow the words of praise is ALWAYS "but it is expensive."

I think if I ever won the lottery I'd put all RE on my NEXT rig. That hasn't happened and I've been VERY happy with Rough Country. I think they make good solid stuff, and I think the price/performance beats everyone else.

xj4life2
11-24-2009, 11:44 AM
I have heard nothing but good about Rubicon Express (RE), but the words that follow the words of praise is ALWAYS "but it is expensive."

I think if I ever won the lottery I'd put all RE on my NEXT rig. That hasn't happened and I've been VERY happy with Rough Country. I think they make good solid stuff, and I think the price/performance beats everyone else.

I agree , I have an "in" at RE (more than just dealer status) thats why I went with them personally. Value for the $$ RC wins hands down. They have always been a good company to deal with all around.

KennyB
11-24-2009, 11:44 AM
THANKS GUYS----Ill look at the rough country 6.5 lift ..... Rusty's is only about an hour form my house,,,, and I was looking at price, BUTTT I have to remember too that ya get what ya pay for also... I read an article about a 6.5 BDS Lift,,,looked pretty husky...But the $$$$ was beyond what I wanted to pay... Ill let ya;ll know what I do and post the lift install

OH YEA---lOVE THE BAND AID !!!!!

Mudderoy
11-24-2009, 01:57 PM
THANKS GUYS----Ill look at the rough country 6.5 lift ..... Rusty's is only about an hour form my house,,,, and I was looking at price, BUTTT I have to remember too that ya get what ya pay for also... I read an article about a 6.5 BDS Lift,,,looked pretty husky...But the $$$$ was beyond what I wanted to pay... Ill let ya;ll know what I do and post the lift install

OH YEA---lOVE THE BAND AID !!!!!

If you can afford it, get the best. Based on what I have heard, it would be RE over Rusty's for me.

xj4life2
11-24-2009, 02:23 PM
What are you lookng at money wise for a rustys 6.5 long arm ??

KennyB
11-24-2009, 04:13 PM
I went to the rough country and texted with the cat there about it...WOW, I am glad I did not buy the Rusty's//////The entire kit on Rusty's site is $1700.00 and change---

The entire kit on the Rough Country site is on sale right now for 1200.00 and change.... hell Ill go with the Rough Country.... We looked at his black XJ on the site..thats excatly what I want in a lift and its all on sale. man I apprecaite ya;ll givin me the heads up....

Oh yea---My XJ is a kinda of a BOMB right now-she runs and shift great--My 12 yr old said it is a hoopdee car... BUT IT WONT STAY THAT WAY FOR LONG!!! Thanks again

Mudderoy
11-24-2009, 04:22 PM
I went to the rough country and texted with the cat there about it...WOW, I am glad I did not buy the Rusty's//////The entire kit on Rusty's site is $1700.00 and change---

The entire kit on the Rough Country site is on sale right now for 1200.00 and change.... hell Ill go with the Rough Country.... We looked at his black XJ on the site..thats excatly what I want in a lift and its all on sale. man I apprecaite ya;ll givin me the heads up....

Oh yea---My XJ is a kinda of a BOMB right now-she runs and shift great--My 12 yr old said it is a hoopdee car... BUT IT WONT STAY THAT WAY FOR LONG!!! Thanks again

Glad to help. Don't forget about Ron, 4Wheelingplus.com. I'm not sure how that sale stuff works for the Rough Country dealers, but I'd give Ron a call/email first. He's doing the xjtalk discount you know.

I'm looking forward to your impressions of the RC long arms. They look great. Dunno.

:link: (http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2009)

Logans91XJ
11-26-2009, 01:57 AM
Have you thought about Iron Rock Offroad? I have only heard great things about them and that they are great to work with and offer a really great lift kit. Everything I have read about them seems really good. The only people that bitch about them don't run their lift but the guys that are using their lift kit seem to really like it.

www.ironrockoffroad.com

4.3LXJ
11-26-2009, 10:18 AM
I was going to suggest checking out Iron Rock also. I like their brackets, the way they bolt on.

DETOURS
11-26-2009, 05:11 PM
If you were going hardcore, I'd suggest Clayton....

http://www.claytonoffroad.com/

He's got a sale going right now, quality it's: RC X 2......Nice investment. :patriot:

AJ99
11-27-2009, 10:46 PM
If you were going hardcore, I'd suggest Clayton....

http://www.claytonoffroad.com/

He's got a sale going right now, quality it's: RC X 2......Nice investment. :patriot:

Or Rock Krawler. Their 3 link front end is solid. Its an awesome front end and the springs are just right also. They are on the soft side though. I have it and i am glad that i got it. Granted i got it pretty cheap but it is an awesome lift.

DETOURS
11-28-2009, 05:40 PM
I've got the Rock Krawler 3 link.........but I'm also doing coil-overs so my experiance will most likely be different.

Logans91XJ
12-01-2009, 10:30 AM
man I love the Clayton and RK stuff but damn dropping over 2 grand for just a lift kit seems pretty intense. I guess if you are a really hard core wheeler then you should run their stuff

KennyB
12-03-2009, 08:30 AM
I think I am gonna go with the Rough Country 6.5 with the CV Drive Shaft, and Slip yoke elminator. Then I;ll go wiht 15 X 8 rims and wheel spacers,,,, The Rough Country kit comes with just about everything i need....