PDA

View Full Version : Higher Flow Intake - Filter to TB?

Infidel Edition
05-22-2016, 01:01 PM
I was looking at the air intake on my S10... and really like the design and it would virtually be free flow vs semi-restricted because it's a massive mm vs the 4.0

But I'm not sure how much more work it's be to make it air tight.
...$15 at pick N pull for filter housing and tube assembly.

Does anyone know a good vehicle with a stock air intake that would be a good xj upgrade?

Infidel Edition
05-23-2016, 09:07 PM
so, this would be on top of the TB, angled directly to the air filter box... and the accordion section would be replaced with a straight rubberized tube.

...and then add another 2" diameter piece of pvc out of the lower compartment and behind the headlight assembly.

4.3LXJ
05-23-2016, 09:14 PM
I see you haven't had much response. The thing about the 4.0 is that it is an old school engine they made work for awhile longer. It was a good Jeep engine though. However I wish they would have stuck with the 5.0 V8, which ran circles around that six. But anyway, this is just a prelude to say that the 4.0 just does not flow well in the head. So intake options don't really do a lot for it because the heads are nothing like say a Vortec or Hemi.

Infidel Edition
05-24-2016, 07:48 PM
I know the stock doesn't flow well.
But I've read that the tubing from the TB to the filter ... and the intake opening in the filter box is a limiting factor.

I'm going to be upgrading the head to a higher flowing head ~ as well as a more aggressive cam.
but those are down the road. And I like to junkyard my way through the summer...

4.3LXJ
05-24-2016, 07:52 PM
Not sure how to help you with wrecking yard parts outside of the 99 - 01 manifold

Infidel Edition
05-26-2016, 08:09 PM
Not sure how to help you with wrecking yard parts outside of the 99 - 01 manifold

hey... is the 2000 TB larger? ... and compatible?
seems strange that the intake man would be that much larger / better flow, but the TB would still be 60 tapered down to ?? what, 56 mm:confused:

..........just day dreaming. Doing the suspension swap and the tailgate tire mount this weekend.
:bacondance:

4.3LXJ
05-26-2016, 08:14 PM
Ask Josh on that one. The late intake has better shaped runners and is opened up. As far as the throttle body goes, I think you better use your stock one so all the electronics match up. Probably have to drill and tap a few holes