PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable control arms

justanotherjeeplover
05-22-2016, 08:07 AM
Hey guys I know there are forums on this im just confused. I installed rough country adjustable control arms upper and lower I installed how they said in instructions. But idk if it's right. I have an 1988 xj with 3.5 inch lift. Do the uppers stay at stock length and I just adjust the lowers or do I adjust both upper and lowers. Thank you for your input.

4.3LXJ
05-22-2016, 08:26 AM
The right way to do it is to use the uppers at stock length and adjust the lowers to give you 5° of castor. You can get a free app for a smart phone to use for a level on top of the ball joint to figure this out. Make sure you account for the original angle of the body

justanotherjeeplover
05-22-2016, 08:38 AM
Oh okay so how would I account for the original angle of the body.

4.3LXJ
05-22-2016, 08:41 AM
You need to make sure you are on level ground. Or if you are not, add or subtract the ground value from what you measure on the axle.

justanotherjeeplover
05-22-2016, 08:46 AM
Oh okay I understand. Thank you for the help! I don't have much of a level area to work with. But I'll get it figured out! Thank you again.

Infidel Edition
05-29-2016, 10:29 PM
Another nice thing with adjustabl upper and lower with your lift is you can push the axle forward to compensate for the back swing. There's a thread on her somewhere... basically with the stock arms a 5" lift would swing the axle back like an inch or two...
Just adjust both uppers (the same amount) and then adjust the lower to get the pinon back to 5°