PDA

View Full Version : It's finally time!

Baseless
05-19-2016, 01:43 PM
Hello, all! Okay, so my first year of college is finally over, and I now have a job to support my Jeep! First, here are the issues that need to be addressed (yes, I know I have posted about some of them before, and yes, I know about google), and my thoughts about them.

Issue #1: Now, I'm no professional engineer (yet), but I'm preeeeetty sure that a leaf spring isn't supposed to have a negative arc to it... Both of mine do. Another problem that I have been hearing is a whoooole lot of movement from out back whenever I hit a big bump with any kind of speed (20+), and she'll try to step out sideways at times (could this possibly be caused by the drive shaft for any reason? It hasn't been properly serviced in a while...). I'm thinking an all-inclusive lift kit would be a better idea than stock replacements, but what would you guys recommend? I've been shopping around for a kit, and Rough Country seems to have the best deal at the moment, but a friend of mine recently got a Skyjacker kit for his '97 and completely swears by it.

Issue #2: Rust. The hood has divets in it from the time it spent parked out in the woods, the passenger side rocker panel is withering away to nothing, and there are two pretty big holes in the drivers side footwell. Best way to fix? I know basic sheetmetal, but I mean is there any particular way you'd go about it?

Issue #3: Fancy feet! Bella has three different types of wheels, soon to be 4, all from different models of Jeep... I have a set of brandy new, still in the box wheels that have a +1/2" offset, and are an inch wider than stock (15X8). After a trial fit, they stick out past the stock flares about 1 1/2" or so beyond them, which is kiiiinda frowned upon in Maine for some reason. Would an aftermarket flare set work, or will TJ flares be enough? I already have the flares off the TJ, but I'm thinking an actual kit would look and install a little better (one of the TJ's was cut into a little, as the fasteners refused to let go)...

Issue #4: This is the last issue that I can think of that absolutely needs to be remedied ASAP... The wipers are all kinds of screwed up. Only the front wipers actually work. The rear completely died some time in the winter (no wipe or spray), and the fronts I don't think have ever sprayed... Fuses are good, but I don't know if it's a relay problem or the actual motor has died. Thoughts?

Like always, any and all help, comments, and thoughts are greatly appreciated!

4.3LXJ
05-19-2016, 01:50 PM
That is a lot to respond to. But just so you know, engineers have designed leaf springs with both positive and negative camber. But you are right, the rear springs are getting weak. That part about hopping sideways can be caused by two things. One is really bad shocks and the other is bad tires

I think the best way to deal with the hood is to replace it.

Baseless
05-19-2016, 02:15 PM
The tires don't even have 10k on them yet, and I replaced the shocks at all four corners just last year. Could it possibly have something to do with the springs warping slightly?

4.3LXJ
05-19-2016, 02:34 PM
I don't think so. I wouldn't rule out anything due to when it was replaced. Tires and shocks go bad. You might rotate your tires and see if that affects it

denverd1
05-19-2016, 02:47 PM
Issue #1:not your DS.

Issue #2: new hood

Issue #3: mount the wheel and the flare and look. only way to tell

Issue #4: motor is a separate issue, start testing connections. JY motors can't be spendy. the spray issue could be caused by the 15 year old rubber tube has dry rotted. do you hear anything when you pull the lever? what about with wipers on? could be a corroded ground. its odd that BOTH go out together.

Baseless
05-19-2016, 03:12 PM
I don't think so. I wouldn't rule out anything due to when it was replaced. Tires and shocks go bad. You might rotate your tires and see if that affects it

I wouldn't be surprised... The shop that checked the cause of my low oil pressure did forget to reattach the front shocks...

Issue #1:not your DS.

Issue #2: new hood

Issue #3: mount the wheel and the flare and look. only way to tell

Issue #4: motor is a separate issue, start testing connections. JY motors can't be spendy. the spray issue could be caused by the 15 year old rubber tube has dry rotted. do you hear anything when you pull the lever? what about with wipers on? could be a corroded ground. its odd that BOTH go out together.

Never even thought about the tube. Don't hear anything at all from the front, and last winter the rears just went full stop.

denverd1
05-19-2016, 03:38 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160519/378f0304a24007f33e5098b002c341f6.jpg

sent from my Samsoon S5 from the bottom of a mud hole

Baseless
05-19-2016, 03:45 PM
I'll have to try that in the next couple of days when I have time and after the rain clears.

XJ Wheeler
05-20-2016, 02:47 AM
I wonder if the reason for your sideways movement in the rear is due to old/failing leaf spring bushings allowing the spring/shackle excess movement when hitting a bump. Another thing to check I guess.

On #2 I also suggest getting another hood, say from a junkyard. They're fairly inexpensive considering the size. That is unless the affected areas are located in a good spot for some vents or scoops. :D And the rocker issue, I am currently taking care of the same issue. It's pretty extensive but may give you some ideas anyway... http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=21340

With the flares, check out Napier Precision Products and the bushwacker flat flares. That is, if you want to spend $400+ on plastic! [emoji14] My brother is running the bushwacker flats and they cover his pretty well. He's running 31×10.5s on 15×8 wheels with 3.5" backspacing.

Wish I could help on #4. Been having similar problems on mine for 12 years. [emoji14]

Sent via messenger pigeon. I talk, he types.

Baseless
05-20-2016, 07:10 AM
It could very well be the bushings. I've been thinking about doing something like that, but don't really have access to the tools (since my grandfather retired, I don't really get to use the local shop much after hours)... I'll have to check Napier out, too.