PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent parasitic draw on battery 2000 xj sport

cheeko00
05-17-2016, 03:06 PM
my 00 has been dead each morning for several days, traced the bad circuit to main fuse box #23/24 which is o2 sensors and rear tail lights. i had to replace my o2 sensor so i did that and got rid of the engine light. didnt fix the draw, i then completely cut out my trailer pig tail, as this had given me grief before. still not fixed, so at the end of my electrical know how, i brought it to my local electrical shop, where they had it for thursday-monday as they were busy, when they got to working on it they couldnt find a draw more than 9 miliamps. i drove it home the last turn i made, the right turn signal was rapidly flashing but for only about 5-10 seconds then went normal. my jeep was dead this morning again. now its back at the shop with the knowledge off it being some intermittent draw to do with the rear lights/ turn signals...

tldr; rear light turn signals intermittent rapid flash cause parasitic draw sometimes, battery dead 4 days each morning after boosting it.

Anyone have ANY advice? im pulling my hair out. I hate electrical.

Thanks!

prerunner1982
05-17-2016, 03:15 PM
Has the battery been load tested? It could be that it's just not holding a charge long enough.

cheeko00
05-17-2016, 03:18 PM
not sure if the shop did it, but why would there be intermittent rapid flashing of the turn signals?

prerunner1982
05-17-2016, 03:30 PM
not sure if the shop did it, but why would there be intermittent rapid flashing of the turn signals?

May or may not be related. A fast blink is typically an indicator of a blown bulb, however if a bulb just has a loose ground or connection once that bulb made contact again the blinking would go back to normal.

cheeko00
05-17-2016, 09:10 PM
yup makes sense to me! its at a electrical shop so i hope they can trace it back to whatever is causing the issue, Thanks!

Mudderoy
05-22-2016, 10:51 AM
You can connect up a meter between the battery cable and the battery. That will tell you what the draw is. You then start removing fuses until it drops. You will then know where your problem is.

Oh and if you have a problem. It could be normal and you have a bad battery.

Pinkyman
05-23-2016, 09:55 AM
You can connect up a meter between the battery cable and the battery. That will tell you what the draw is. You then start removing fuses until it drops. You will then know where your problem is.

Oh and if you have a problem. It could be normal and you have a bad battery.

You can do this with a test light as well, then you can see the light go off without having to check voltage every time. Just make sure all your doors are shut (or remove the dome light fuse), or it will sense that draw and the light will never go out lol

Mudderoy
05-23-2016, 11:15 AM
You can do this with a test light as well, then you can see the light go off without having to check voltage every time. Just make sure all your doors are shut (or remove the dome light fuse), or it will sense that draw and the light will never go out lol

I've never checked, or had to check mine. My assumption there was always a draw on the battery. Wouldn't this effect the light method?

Pinkyman
05-23-2016, 11:30 AM
I've never checked, or had to check mine. My assumption there was always a draw on the battery. Wouldn't this effect the light method?

On the older models that ive done this on, it has always worked as long as the door was closed. I havent had to do it on my Xj, but i would think that its old enough to be able to do it on. Its worth a shot at least, otherwise i guess im just a big fat liar hahaha :smiley-scared003:

cheeko00
06-02-2016, 08:41 PM
oops should have cleared up what happened, i did the test light trick and it came to the conclusion of my rear turn signals, but what it ended up being was whoe ever put my turn signal blinker in the factory, the pushed it too far and broke a clip, over time it started contacting another metal part and sending a huge spike( draw) to my rear wiper, defrost and blower fan randomly. so $240 later its all fixed!

prerunner1982
06-02-2016, 09:55 PM
Damn, look at that I was half right. About the most right I have ever been... if you ask my wife. Glad you got it fixed. I hate electrical gremlins.

My wife had an S-10 Blazer that the interior lights would randomly come on as you were driving. Ended up being the lumbar switch in the seat. As you would drive and move around in the seat the wiring to the switch would ground out on the seat frame and because it shared a circuit with the interior lights it would make them come on. Darnedest thing.

cheeko00
06-06-2016, 08:34 PM
You're right in my books lol, i hate electrical gremlins as well.